generator hook up

1badfish

Cadet
my generator wires are hanging under the dash what do I need to hook them to to get my battery charging. its a 45 chrystler

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: generator hook up

That would be a Chrysler, electric start, battery ignition with two coils correct?

On most Chryslers as delivered from the factory, there are no wires in the dash related to charging the battery. The whole battery charging circuit is contained within the engine.

Two wires will come from the alternating current alternator to the rectifier/regulator. Rectifier/regulator converts A/C to D/C at about 14 volts. The red wire from the rectifier goes down into the wire loom, and connects to the terminal board and then to the circuit breaker. This will be the one with two wires crimped onto one connector. The other terminal on the circuit breaker has a red wire connecting to the battery side of the starter solenoid. SO; voltage goes down through the circuit breaker to the battery wire, charging the battery.

When the alternator is not working, voltage flows directly from the battery through the red wire and the circuit breaker to supply power to the terminal board. The red wire in the cable that goes to the dash supplies power to the ignition switch and engine accessories. Any wires you have free under the dash are probably power sources or unused. For example: purple wire is not used.

If you have replaced the voltage regulator/rectifier and the battery is still not charging, since you had "wicked sparking" check the circuit breaker and check all red wires to see whether they have burned though, especially the one from the rectifier to the terminal board. It is not inconceivable that you may have also damaged the alternator windings and the alternator is not producing power. So. using a voltmeter, with the wires disconnected from the rectifier, check for resistance on the alternator windings. There should be some--not a lot though--I forget the spec though. Infinite resistance indicates an open circuit and melted or broken wires in the stator.

"wicked" is usually a regional term. Are you from Mass.?

1badfish

Cadet

Thanks, all that info is very helpful the coil windings ohm out at about 2 ohms. the purple wire is marked generator so I assumed it had to do with charging, what was its intended purpose? I can see no scorching of the insulation and the windings seem in good shape. It does run pretty well but the timing seems a little off, I've never worked on an outboard before and can't locate any points or any way to easily adjust the timing. your description of the motor was accurate any other info would be most helpful. mod 459HE
I actually live in Louisville, Ky. born and raised, but on a recent trip to Fl. some girls from Boston made the same remark about our use of the term "wicked".

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Don't know why they marked the purple wire Gen. Maybe it was because they thought people would not understand or misinterpret Alt. Anyway the purple wire connects from the terminal board to one of the A/C terminals (from the alternator) on the rectifier and on later engines it is used as an A/C signal for the tachometer. On your engine it is not used.

Points are under the flywheel and you need a puller to get to them. Timing can be adjusted with the 1/8 threaded rod with plastic ends that is just below the flywheel. However, there are no timing marks on the engine for reference. Points are set to .020

1badfish

Cadet

alright I think I know what rod your talking about but my problem may not be timing. I took the boat out today its a 14ft astro glass around 81 model it won't plain out I'm thinking its running on one cylinder. one coil has a good one inch crack in it and has probably leaked the cooling oil out, but still has a decent spark, both cylinders match at 115 psi on a compression check. the engine starts instantly without choking but develops no rpm, any other possible issues?