Sears Waterwitch 571-44 Stuck Fuel Valve

mercury_ke4

Recruit
Fuel shut off valve assembly on on bottom of Sears Waterwitch fuel tank is just spinning, cannot remove from tank. It threads into a disk which is attached to bottom of fuel tank, this disk turns but cannot remove from tank. Disk is about 1/4" thick and round.
Seems there must be a fastener inside the fuel tank holding the disk, which is now loose. Any ideas on how to remove? I could use a vise grip to hold the disk and then unscrew the fuel valve from it, but the disk now seems loose and may leak.

Attachments

• fuel_valve.jpg
    fuel_valve.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sears Waterwitch 571-44 Stuck Fuel Valve

And leak it probably will. Is the tank on that thing made of aluminum or steel? If steel, solder the adapter ring. If aluminum, I don't know what you are going to do. Epoxy and gentleness, I suppose.

Oh, to answer the other question, I would assume it is swadged on the inside. That's the way others do it anyway.

BillP

Captain

Go to the aomci.org (antique ob motor club). Members are very friendly and have major expertise on antique engine repair.

mercury_ke4

Recruit

Yes, I may have to solder it. Tank is steel and seems to be soldered together at seams. Surprised valve was not threaded into tank. Solder should fix the problem.

Thanks for the reply.

BillP

Captain

Yes, I may have to solder it. Tank is steel and seems to be soldered together at seams. Surprised valve was not threaded into tank. Solder should fix the problem.

Thanks for the reply.

Depending on yr I think some WW tanks were actually cast iron...