Need Help, is this an easy fixer or take it in

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Need Help, is this an easy fixer or take it in

I would hope that he has that part figured out :). I didn't encourage him on getting a harness, but if that is what he wants to do might as well help him. You might of seen that I asked and he didn't give an answer when I asked if he is going to buy another harness. And I already mentioned about the fuse or fuses.

Did I reply to your post? If so it was a mistake I thought I was replying directly to the person who started thread and meant no disparagement.:)

Yep read all the posts.:) I wrote what I did to put it all in a "nut shell" so to speak. Sometimes you have to point out the obvious and given the level of repair skills and knowledge of most of folks that ask repair questions on sites like this I think the obvious should always be pointed out.:)

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I hear ya JCF350 my intentions meant no offense to your post. I know it should of been an easy fix if there wasn't a burnt component involved. I've had to replace burnt wires and wire harnesses in the past myself but on automobiles, lawn mowers and motorcycles. I bought a motorcycle one time the previous owner tried to make a wire harness from scratch, lord that was a mess, after getting a used harness and having to do a few simple mods I was on the road. Then I built a harness to go in my 15' challenger, from scratch, luckily the outboard motor wire harness was ok so I didn't half to mess with it. I think what could of happened, he might of found another boo boo on the wire harness and that's why he decided to look for a new one. Again no offense intended.

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

cleaned the wires, clipped the burnt plastic off because none burnt through. used good ol' electrical tape and then ....nothing. read an earlier post to find the fuses and yep, one was tripped. i then put the muffs on, cranked up, ran for 5 minutes and ready to go back out!!!

THNAKS EVERYONE!

Cptkid570

Ensign

I don't think that your exhaust manifold should be getting hot enough to melt wires. I'm under the impression that they shouldn't get too hot to touch.

Keep a close eye on your temperature. You may need an impellor, thermostat, or new exhaust manifolds to cure your overheating. Cheapest place that I've found for that stuff is ebasicpower.com

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

cleaned the wires, clipped the burnt plastic off because none burnt through. used good ol' electrical tape and then ....nothing. read an earlier post to find the fuses and yep, one was tripped. i then put the muffs on, cranked up, ran for 5 minutes and ready to go back out!!!

Buy ya books and send ya to school and whaddya do? Ya eat the teacher!!:D

Those overheated spots in the wires need to be cut out and replaced. The wire is now brittle and will break in the future. No mention of it, did you do something about the way the harness was routed.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't think that your exhaust manifold should be getting hot enough to melt wires. I'm under the impression that they shouldn't get too hot to touch.

Keep a close eye on your temperature. You may need an impellor, thermostat, or new exhaust manifolds to cure your overheating. Cheapest place that I've found for that stuff is ebasicpower.com

Judging from the pictures the damage was caused by the wires rubbing on the manifold.:)

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

used 4 zip ties to put everything out of the way. the wires looked much better in the daylight, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch melt spot with just a few threads of wire showing on one cable. i went to lowes and bought new splicer, shrink wrap (variety pac), zip ties and looked at it and decided electrical tape was the way to go. as stated in first post, engine temp was around 170-175 after 30 minutes of 20-45mph cruising

mike176

Petty Officer 1st Class

call me next time ya head out to lake santa fe i'm 5 min away and a tow is always better then the paddel. :)