Where is the mysterious shift linkage?? - Lower Unit Removal

Evinrude40

Cadet
Where the heck is this mysterious shift linkage that is required to unbolt to remove the lower unit? I am trying to change my impeller. I have a 1985 40 hp Evinrude VRO. Here is a pic:

CIMG0517.jpg

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: Where is the mysterious shift linkage?? - Lower Unit Removal

Is it not under the carbs?

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Not sure on that motor, but look for an oval plate middle gearcase section..2 screws..pop it...brass coupler.. loosen both screws..

Evinrude40

Cadet

If it is "under the carbs" does that mean I would need to take the air filter and carbs off to get to it, or maybe to even see it?
Thanks!

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Use a swivel socket on an extension. Probably 1/4" drive.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It is not visable in your picture. You have to look at the other side. Have somebody move the control lever as you watch the action at the motor end. You will see a part moving fore and aft, parallel with the control cable. The forward end is connected to a lever that is part of a shaft going crosswise across the front, under the carbs (actually through the front of the crankcase). Now, look at the other side of the motor and you will see another, smaller, lever on that cross shaft. That smaller lever converts rotary motion to up and down motion of the shift rod. There is a hex headed pin through that small lever, making the connection to the shift rod. Take it out with a swivel socket on a long extension. You do not have to remove the carbs or anything else.

It is all easy to see if it is moving. But you do need that extension to reach it.

Evinrude40

Cadet

I had my wife move the shift controller on the remote while I watched. I saw a thing rotating down below and behind the carbs as noted earlier. The nut on this thing seems to be accessable only when shifted into the forward position. I took a picture of it while in forward gear. Is this what I am to unbolt? If so, this looks like a lot of fun - NOT. I will definately need a u-joint and extension to get to it. Once I unbolt it, is there anything else I need to do or does it just come out (unconnecting the linkage) and thats it?

CIMG0525.jpg

Walker

Captain

In the first pic, look at the shiny washer/pin with the small cotter pin thru it. See it right between the 2 cables. Now go out and look at your motor. look behind the lever that the shiny washer/pin is connecting to. See a hitch pin. Pull the hitch pin out and push the linkage toward the outher side of the motor. This is easier if you disconnect the shift cable and theplastic transverse rod fron the shiny washer/pin.

Evinrude40

Cadet

I just looked and there is no hitch pin to be found. If it had a hitch pin, would that be all that I need to unhook?

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You are lacking the most essential tool for this job, a service manual!:D

Evinrude40

Cadet

I agree. That will be my next purchase...so I don't look so stupid at least. I was told that this is fairly straightforward since changing an impeller is considered somewhat routine, thats why I started without one. Lesson learned.

Here is a view from the "other side" as suggested. All I can see are hoses and barely catch a glimpse of the other side of the rotating part I described earlier. Wow, this thing must really be hidden!

CIMG0527.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Unless I am completely wacko---
#86 moves fore and aft
#81 is the shaft and lever that goes across to the other side
#85 is the lever on the other side
#74 is the hex headed pin to remove
If I am seeing it correctly, I think your picture is pointing to #10...don't remove that one.

Attachments

• 40HP SHIFT DISCONNECT.jpg
    40HP SHIFT DISCONNECT.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 0

Evinrude40

Cadet

Yes, my picture is pointing to part #10. Thanks for that diagram. I think if I disconnect some hoses I can get to part #74.

I am a little curious what a "hex headed pin" is. If it is hex headed, that suggests to me that it is a bolt that gets unscrewed and the far end of it acts like a pin. Am I right?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yep, I guess that's a good description. It has a hex head like a regular bolt. Once you get it out you will see that the other end is just a round pin without threads. The pin part goes through a hole in the top end of the shift rod.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

You may be able to get to it by removing the shift & throttle cables. Also it helps to wrap the universal in some tape to prevent it from flopping around. I use a 1/4" drive with an extra long extension - probably 12" or so - see jcf350s post.

Evinrude40

Cadet

I feel very fortunate to actually be able to possibly help someone else with my experience. The only way this shift linkage will ever be unhooked on a 1985 Envinrude 40hp VRO (E40ELCOB) is by simply unbolting the three bolts on the starter and moving it out of the way. It doesn't even need the cable unhooked (but be sure to unhook the battery before doing any work, duh!). Once moved, this bolt/pin is incredibly easy to get to. I have posted a picture with the starter moved out of the way. It is very simple to do and I am sure that's what is listed in the shop manual.

CIMG0528.jpg

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

All you have to do is remove the starter motor and you have full access to the shift pin bolt.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The only way this shift linkage will ever be unhooked on a 1985 Envinrude 40hp VRO (E40ELCOB) is by simply unbolting the three bolts on the starter and moving it out of the way.

All you have to do is remove the starter motor and you have full access to the shift pin bolt.

What a coincidence ! We just posted the same thing at the same time !!!!

Great minds must think alike.

adrenalinejunky

Recruit

Unless I am completely wacko---
#86 moves fore and aft
#81 is the shaft and lever that goes across to the other side
#85 is the lever on the other side
#74 is the hex headed pin to remove
If I am seeing it correctly, I think your picture is pointing to #10...don't remove that one.

Ok so I am having the same problem except I dont have the hex head pin. Looks to just be a pin with no hex head. Got the starter off and moved all the hoses and can see what you are showing. Its a 88 40hp as well. I can just drive that pin out either.. it wont go through to the other side and also would be a mother to try line it all up. Help please.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

adrenalinejunky, you should start a new thread, this one is over 7 years old.
To help you out, look at the post below and see if it helps,# 10.
:: iShopMarine.com ::