Tool Abuse Stories...

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, I'll start.

My wife was helping me with renovations/reconstruction on our house. Her task was to remove the drywall, nails, etc. from a set of interior walls.

At some point, she needed to get under some nails to get them started so she could pull them out. So, she grabs a couple of flat head "screwdrivers" to pry them up a bit.

Those "screwdrivers" were a couple of my Buck-bros wood chisels.

-V

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tool Abuse Stories...

This was my own fault but a couple years ago I had just gotten a Milwaukee Circular Saw with the tilting handle feature. I was made a cut and I set it down on top of the workbench and then tripped over the cord and pulled it off. End result was I bent the magnesium foot of the saw, that was just painful to look at and expensive to fix.

PondTunes

Petty Officer 1st Class

When we moved into our new house a few years ago the wife wanted me to dig up and re-locate some monkey grass. As with any project I try to use it as a reason to buy a tool or two. Thus we need a round nose shovel so that I can do some quality digging...

She is going out anyways so off she goes to get some things and a shovel. I don't know where she found it but she came back with a shovel that had a price of $3.00 When she returns I pick up the shovel and question her on what it set her back. When she responded I made a joke or two about the thing not lasting through one of the plants and of course she's upset because I'm picking on her for being thrifty..

I commence digging up this monkey grass, now its not a small plant once I get under and around it the plant is probably 2 1/2 feet across and the roots go at least that deep. About the second or third plant I put the shovel under the roots and pry up. Suddenly with a loud crack the shovel snaps at the head and I am on the ground laughing. I carry the shovel back inside to tease the wife a bit more and to toss in an "I told you so".

She found my second string of comments equally un-funny and sent me out to get my own shovel! To this day she still hates the $3.00 shovel story.

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Several years ago I bought a close quarters 3/8s Milwaukee drill at home depot to make the job of drilling out some manifold bolts on a 318 as easy as possible without removing the head.It cost as I remember right around $160.00 give or take a few and when I got home I set it on the kitchen counter pending my next trip down cellar when I would take it down with me.
I HAVE NOT SEEN IT SINCE!!!!
My lady is an airhead,she will be the first to admit it and she has done some pretty silly things in the last 15 or so years we have been together here but noone will ever know where it went.Most likely in the garbage,she is good for that but I would have liked to have at least plugged it in to hear it run:))
She took a small pair of dykes that I use doing electronics work off of my workbench and could not understand why they broke while she was trying to cut a coat hanger!!!Ron G:D

whywhyzed

Banned

I have routinely put the bucket of an excavator or wheel loader on the end of a wrench to loosen fasteners. Or hook the crane through a double box end....Heavy equipment techs consume a lot of tools.
I've got some heat and beat wrenches that I can't even read the size on anymore.... heated and bent ones... 45 degree twists...

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Bought a house in 86. Winter move in. Big brick fireplace, and there was wood logs left outside. First things first..gotta get a fire going! Went over to the Ace Hardware for an Axe.
Get back, set up a log.
Big overhead swing..WHAM...right down the middle.
Set up another log..BIG swing..halfway through the swing, things gets a little light, and I whacks the log with handle!. NO HEAD!
Stand up straight, cover my head, and a few seconds the business end lands about 10 feet in front of me!
Ohh, was I ticked..some jerk forgot to put the wedge in!

PondTunes

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bought a house in 86. Winter move in. Big brick fireplace, and there was wood logs left outside. First things first..gotta get a fire going! Went over to the Ace Hardware for an Axe.
Get back, set up a log.
Big overhead swing..WHAM...right down the middle.
Set up another log..BIG swing..halfway through the swing, things gets a little light, and I whacks the log with handle!. NO HEAD!
Stand up straight, cover my head, and a few seconds the business end lands about 10 feet in front of me!
Ohh, was I ticked..some jerk forgot to put the wedge in!

Man that has lawsuit written all over it haha!

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know if this is as much a tool abuse story as it is a I got abused by a tool :D. I was trying to keep from uninstalling/removing the pedestal base from the stern of my bass boat to drill a 1" hole in it for a power plug install. So my bright self took a 1/2" dewalt power drill and started with a small bit and gradually got bigger. Well about a 1/2" bit I was drilling along and the bit got hang up the drill got away from me and swung around and smacked me in the back of my right hand, in the mean time the drill bit broke. It happened so fast I don't know what happened first the bit breaking or the drill hitting my hand. I thought for sure something was broke it hurt so bad :D, but luckily nothing was but I got a nice swelled spot on the back of my hand for about 2 days. Needless to say after that happened I uninstalled the pedestal base and brought it into the shed to drill it out on the drill press. Darn dewalt drills are strong.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

At some point, she needed to get under some nails to get them started so she could pull them out. So, she grabs a couple of flat head "screwdrivers" to pry them up a bit.

Those "screwdrivers" were a couple of my Buck-bros wood chisels.

-V

Heck, she just needed a hammer, so she could cut the heads off the nails and wouldn't need to pull them.

Grandbuddy did that with a stuck screw. :(

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

One day a few years ago my mother decided to split some logs for the fireplace. She was having a pretty hard time handling the splitting maul so went to the store to get her own hammer. Next time I was over at their house I commented to dad that when I needed to put the hubcaps back on my car it would be cool to just borrow his rubber mallet. When he told me it was mom's hammer he couldn't keep from laughing...

ziggy

Admiral

workin on my 1st jetski. i think i was trying to take the coupler off. anyways. the drive shaft had a hole in it to put yer screwdrive thru. fit just perfect.....when i was done i had a kinda L shaped, S shaped driver....took it back to sears and told them i didn't really want an around the corner phillips.....got me a new one for free. them craftsman tools got a pretty good warnty......

jimyoung

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some years ago....using a 1/2 drill motor with a 5/8 bit....drilling a steel bar...using my right hand to hold the drill, my left hand to steady the material....bit hung.... bit broke...... during the ensuing excitement I managed to drill my left hand....the fleshy area below my thumb with the broken bit....blood every where...good thing the hospital was just a few blocks away...six stitches later I was back at the store to buy another bit.......

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer

I enjoy using my extra large regular screwdriver which says "do not use as a pry-bar" as a pry-bar. :D It's also fun to use screwdrivers as a chisel and drive the shank into the handle, converting them into stubbies. :D Sears has never asked what I did when I exchange them. One time I was using my spot-weld cutter and it slipped and became a "wrist shredder" :eek::eek:

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

If I told yall all the times we abuse our tools, and trucks, I would be here all night.

We go through cordless drills like nothing. Back when we were building one of our houses, dad was putting the 5v roofing on, and to start the screws (not self drilling) he would slam them with the back of the old panasonic drill we had for a couple years. That drill also managed to slip off the 2 story roof of that barn a few times too. We have since worn out a couple nice bosch ones too, but they are without a doubt, the best drill - have 3 right now)

Back when dad was building a cabin for my granddad, he went to pick up all the 6 x 8 beams from the mill, on an old 14 foot tandem trailer. Well, that old truck is rated for something like 4000 on the bumper (didn't have a frame hitch at the time) and that trailer was something like eleven thousand. Truck was riding the bump stops for about the first five miles. He could barely turn, as the front wheels would lift up. He then parks it in a parking lot, and since the old trailer doesn't have a jack, uses the trucks jack. Well, that jack broke under the tongue weight (jack designed for 4000 pound truck + cargo) They then made loaded about a quarter of the beams in the back, and brought them up to the site, an hour each way, in 4 trips, the last one with an empty trailer on what was left of the bumper. Needless to say, we have a frame mounted hitch now, (this was about 13 years back) and that truck is pushing 400K miles. That truck also got a new clutch at that time, and is about ready for its next one.

I have been hit in the foot by a flinging maul head, with half the handle attached. Guess you can't leave them in the woods for a year, and hope they are still sound.

Our little palm sander has hit the concrete shop floor more times than I can count. Sturdy lil thing.

A lot of our wrenches have been heated and bent way too many times. Amazing how long an old Craftsman wrench will last.

Parting out a car we inherited earlier this year, and needed a 12 point metric socket to remove the cylinder head. None of our impact sockets were 12 point, but we had millions of those little chinese cheapos that appear, but are never bought. Broke about 17 of those on the 12 bolts we had to remove.

I bent a breaker bar last year. Impact socket wouldn't budge it. I couldn't get a breaker bar to budge it either. Put a 10 foot stick of thick wall round tubing over it, and bent the bar, just as the bolt came loose (welded in captive nut on the other side)

I'll hush now.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Had my 1/2" Milwalkee drill get caught while drilling some steel and it twisted and broke a finger on the way around...... dropped my rechargable mag light (the big one) off a 3 story roof and it just upset the bulb...... I was banned from using anything larger than an air ratchet turned all the way down and limited to a stubby ratchet wrench...in my friends garage since I was the pro in breaking bolts.... any size and I would either snap the bolt, break a socket or make it impossible to remove at a later date.

I confess I now have slowed down. Broken things cost $$$$ and I no longer bull things or use bigger hammers!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Had my 1/2" Milwaukee drill get caught while drilling some steel and it twisted and broke a finger on the way aroundquote]

Never mess with those Milwaukee torque machines..I got a 1/2 inch that will twist your arm off if its gets hung up..(thats why they want $200 + for them..:D)

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Another "stupid" I did.
Know how ya put juice to a 12volt starter motor for a check loose on the bench?'
Well..some stupid idiot I know (me) had a 120volt Electric Sunbeam lawnmower motor that I was planning to make a jig, mount a grinding wheel, and use on my lathe for grinding.
Just laying on the bench..stuck the 120 to it..(do NOT do this at home)..still had the belt gear, and a super sharp "wave washer' on it that kept the belts (2) separated. SOB jumped off the bench quicker than (ok, add something..aint getting political here), and next thing I know, its 911, blood pouring out the ripped Levi's, ended up 6 hours later 37 double stitches in my knee...what a dumb *** I was..12v fine, NO 120 VOLT torque! Big ouch...didn't bend that leg for 6 weeks..

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Back in my young and dumb days, I was given a job to clean some parts. This shop I was in didn't have much for tools. My own shop I have a bench grinder with a wire brush. It always worked great on cleaning parts.

Since this shop didn't have one, and the boss wanted them cleaned, stripped, and painted quickly. I thought that I could take a wire brush with a 1/4" shank and put in the Craftsman router. I put the router in a bench vice and put in the cheap wire brush. Dumb arse me, I didn't pay attention to RPM limits.

Long story short, I turned it on and within seconds,,,,,,,my chest looked like a porcipine with steel wire bristles. Yep, I learned a lot from that lesson on MAX RPM limits on tools and accessories :D

dolluper

Captain

The only tool I abuse is my chainsaw,it has cut many of stumps or earth I should say ,it's cut threw old wire fenceing {which I didn;t see} bounced off the ground..many chains replaced.I never ever abused my mechanic's tools as they made my living for me ,I still have my first tools ever bought in perfect shape,except for wear from falling Oh I forgot the only TOOL I abuse on a regular bases is the "BIL"

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Back in my young and dumb days, I was given a job to clean some parts. This shop I was in didn't have much for tools. My own shop I have a bench grinder with a wire brush. It always worked great on cleaning parts.

Since this shop didn't have one, and the boss wanted them cleaned, stripped, and painted quickly. I thought that I could take a wire brush with a 1/4" shank and put in the Craftsman router. I put the router in a bench vice and put in the cheap wire brush. Dumb arse me, I didn't pay attention to RPM limits.

Long story short, I turned it on and within seconds,,,,,,,my chest looked like a porcipine with steel wire bristles. Yep, I learned a lot from that lesson on MAX RPM limits on tools and accessories :D

This was AWESOME.