3hp rude

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm rebuilding this little lightwin and I have some questions.

1. What should comp be on this old rude? (I only got about 70-75 on both cyl seems low to me, maybe new head gasket)

2. There seems to be oil leaking from exhaust cover, maybe a bad gasket, can I use permatex or do I have to get a new gasket, if so where?

3. Any tips on replacing the coils? Where does the oiler wick go? Do I need new wires?

wbeaton

Commander
Re: 3hp rude

Compression is fine. If its leaking from the exhaust cover you should be able to buy a new gasket. The motor was barely changed from 1952-67. The oiler wick attaches to the post under one of the coils. You should see the old one when you replace the coils. If I was you I'd replace the entire ignition (coils, points, condensers and wires). Also change the impeller. It needs it.

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, I'll see if the local dealer can order a gasket, and wires, plus I need a new water pump grommet from when I changed the pump. I looked for the old wick when I pulled off one of the coils but didn't see it, the coils were in pretty bad shape however. I already procured new coils, points and condensers.

Uffda, kinda wishin I would have just ordered a whole tune up kit from Mastertech in the first place.:redface:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

One of the posts that the coils screws to is sort of odd shaped, kind of triangular...sort of. The oiler wick goes in a metal clip that slides down over that funny-made post. If you don't have the clip, that's why you are confused.

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so I found the clip, thanks FR. I was a little confused because the tune kit came with two wicks, I see now that I only need one.:)

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The local dealer says he can't get wires from BRP but he has bulk wire and the caps.
Is this what I've heard guys having trouble with - putting there own wires together?
Or will it be ok?:confused:
Oh and he said he can't order the grommet, any ideas?

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

NonameSmall.jpg

coilsSmall.jpg

ignitionSmall.jpg

impellarheadgasketSmall.jpg

wbeaton

Commander

Bulk wire is fine. That's the preferred method as you get to make the wires exactly as long as you need. Which grommet do you need?

BillP

Captain

I prefer coils with wires already planted in them...the connection and seal has always been less troublesome (long term) than those with bulk wire plugged in. When doing bulk wire pack the connection with dielectric grease to help keep moisture out. Omc wp kits come with new water tube grommets but dealers who work on motors should have a few good ones laying around the shop anyway. If the carb still has the cork float you may also want to change it to the newer plastic version...or either re-coat the cork one. The coating comes off with age and tiny pieces of cork crumble off. I re-coated the original cork one with epoxy in my old 53 omc 3hp and it lasted about 15yrs. I changed it out to a plastic version a couple weeks ago and BRP still has the new plastic float available for about $5 from BRP dealers...# 0396514.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I get my entire carb kits from OMC/BRP and they all come with the plastic float.

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. The water pump kits for these motors don't come with grommets.:confused: And the dealer says he can't order one.:mad: I did a new float with the carb kit. I ordered a new exhaust cover gasket because the old one was leaking slightly. I'm in the process of replacing the coils/points/condensers just waiting on the wires. Do I prolly need a head gasket too?
Thanks again men!

BillP

Captain

Thanks guys. The water pump kits for these motors don't come with grommets.:confused: And the dealer says he can't order one.:mad: I did a new float with the carb kit. I ordered a new exhaust cover gasket because the old one was leaking slightly. I'm in the process of replacing the coils/points/condensers just waiting on the wires. Do I prolly need a head gasket too?
Thanks again men!

In my experience, old head gaskets have never been an issue unless I pulled them off to check something. Otherwise, retorquing them if slightly seaping has usually worked. On the grommet...are you dealing with a genuine BRP dealer or general parts seller that uses Sierra? Sierra doesn't have some of the parts for old motors that BRP does. If it helps any...I recently bought a Sierra wp kit (full kit with housing) for a 91 omc 9.9hp and the grommet looks like it would fit the 3hp without a problem. Believe it or not the 9.9 wp assy and impeller is about half the size of the wp on a 3hp.

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its an evinrude dealer, first they gave me the wrong grommet, then I took it back and the guy told me he could order it but it would take 1.5 wks so I said I'd check other places, now I called back and the guy says that part was discontinued.:mad:

The part number for the grommet of a '68 3hp(should be the same as my '62 right?) on BRP's website is 203131, but I think I remember someone saying that this number had changed.:confused:

Oh and does anyone know the proper flywheel torq?

wbeaton

Commander

That grommet has been replaced with 0317372 and lists for $4.39.

I don't know where you'll find coils with wires attached for these motors.

Are you pulling the head for some reason? Don't bother changing it unless you pull the head or you suspect its failing.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Coils with the wires pre attached? Huh... never heard of em!

BillP

Captain

Coils with the wires pre attached? Huh... never heard of em!

Factory coils used to come with plug wires attached, spark plug boot and all...some still do but mostly for newer engines. These are the best if you can find ones that fit because it totally elimates one connection that can go bad. It's not a major issue either way though but where I boat in saltwater all help to keep corrosion away is best. Basically, just about any small motor coil that will slide over the old lamination and fit under the flywheel will work. There are plenty of aftermarket small engine coils (stator lamination too) that work in a 3hp if you get in a pinch.

Oh yeah...flywheel torque is 360-480 in lbs. Cyl head is 60-80 in lbs.

wbeaton

Commander

The armature plate on the 3 hp (or any OMC with the universal mag that I know of) only has a small hole for the plug wire to go through. It can't accommodate a coil with the wire and boot attached. Its one or the other - coil/wire or wire/boot.