Exhaust shutter location

freeone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok I searched all the threads about this w/no luck. I have a 83 merc 350 w/alpha one closed cooling system. recently my exchanger blew one of the side caps and I pretty much cooked the exhaust and cooling system. found parts of the shutter in the outdrive when i pulled it to change the wp and all seals. everything but the shutter are ready for install. My question is can i use the new system where the shutter sits on top of the Y( drill two holes and install the new design)? since mine sit at the bottom of the y(see diagram) and require for motor to be pulled. The boat is a 22' cabin cruiser so the engine sits about 4' off th ground and needs to be lifted another 4' to clear the boat, so its not easily removed unless i have a forklift. anyone have any ideas for me? please help. by the way first boat.

Attachments

• 65.jpg
    65.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Exhaust shutter location

Can't even see the picture it's so small. But to answer your question, NO, you can't use the new style shutters. The old ones must be replaced.

freeone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry hope these work. first pic is what i have the secondpic is what i want to make it like. the top of the Y is 4" on both designs. the major difference is my Y is 3pc and the shutters at the bottom and the new one is 1pc with the shutters on top. if i get the new style shutters drill two holes on mine like the 1pc Y would that acomplish the same mission(keep water out of my engine)?

Attachments

• 65tb.jpg
    65tb.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 57tb.jpg
    57tb.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Don S

Nope, won't work. The new shutters are not for a round pipe, they are for an oval shape.

freeone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ahhhh, got it thanx. now that this idea is scrapped any tricks of the trade or hints for me almighty Don to help make this less painfull?

Don S

I have always just pulled the engine and changed them. Sorry, no magic or secrets. Just pull the engine.

freeone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well thanx again ill look at it closer see if i can fit anything in there or just move the engine back some before i have to rent a forklift. just wondering before i get to it tommorow do i have to remove any part of the oudrive?

Bondo

Staff member

do i have to remove any part of the oudrive?

Ayuh,.......

You've got to Pull the Drive to get the Shaft out of the Engine Coupler.....
Then the motor lifts straight Up......