3M 5200 sealant

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Hey guys! It was available so I used 3M 5200 marine adhesive/sealant to glue the plastic CHRYSLER letters (chrome plated plastic letters and medallions off junk-yard cars) onto my outboard hood. It still feels a little rubbery after about two weeks. Question--Is this compound strong enough so that the letters are on permanently? In other words, if I were to try to pull them off, would the paint fail first? Question for next time: Is there a better glue for this type application?

The nice thing about this stuff was that I had a good few hours to move the letters around and get them absolutely straight and aligned; it is white so it does not show against the white paint.

Sorrento 25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 3M 5200 sealant

Very permanent. It will definitely take the paint with it if you take the emblems back off.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Thanks. That being the case, I'll use it again.

Decal on my atavar is also permanent. Guaranteed for at least 7 years. Not cheap though --although for what I had done 37 bucks each aint too bad either. I had mirror images made for each side.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I had a loose bow hook on my Flatbottom when I picked it up used. REAL low deck (like a foot), and looking up there saw a bunch of "Great Stuff" covering the bolt. Probably to seal it from water intrusion.
What I did was move it around best I could from the outside, shoving 5200 in and around. 10 days later still tacky! Couple weeks, like a rock...
Oh yeah, once opened, use it...starts to cure (although slowly the second air hits it)...put in the fridge in a baggie prolongs it too