winterize engine that wont start

sebas54

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, can some one tell me if my engine can be properly winterized if it doesn't run. Also, does my outdrive have to come off for the winter? Should I just change the gear oil and it'll be done?

Thanks!!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: winterize engine that wont start

Hi, can some one tell me if my engine can be properly winterized if it doesn't run. Also, does my outdrive have to come off for the winter? Should I just change the gear oil and it'll be done?

Thanks!!
Yup, drain all of the water out & spray some fogging oil directly into the cylinders....
The drive can stay on, store it in the down position....;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No, it can't be PROPERLY winterized without running it. But it can be made fairly safe from freezing, and the cylinder walls can be protected by the fogging oil put in the spark plug holes.
But when running, the fogging oil get into the intake and exhaust valves and passages and stabilized fuel gets run thru the fuel system (fuel pump and carb).
You should still pull the drive (depending on your type drive) so you can check the bellows for water, check and lube the gimbal bearing and ujoints, coupler splines and check alignment. That can be done rather it runs or not.
Then put it back on. No need to LEAVE it off.

sebas54

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you. Are there any special tools needed to pull the out drive and can i pull it off by hand. I am pretty strong but it looks pretty heavy. Thanks. Sorry for being such a neophyte and asking stupid questions.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Thank you. Are there any special tools needed to pull the out drive and can i pull it off by hand.
No, all that is required is a couple of 9/16" & 5/8" wrenches....
I am pretty strong but it looks pretty heavy. Thanks. Sorry for being such a neophyte and asking stupid questions.
It weighs about 80 pounds...
Don't forget to put the shifter in foreward for removal.....;)

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The only stupid question is the one not asked..

skeat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you have a carburetor with any gas in it on it I would remove that and drain it. Since the fuel in there isn't treated it could cause you problems when you do go to get it running.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't think I would remove the carb and drain it. Usually a DRY carb inside has more problems than one with even old gas.