Soft spots in floor

Jefro573

Seaman
Hello All,

I just got a 1998 Maxum 1800 XR boat and it has a soft spot on the edge of the storage area (ski storage) on the floor that goes back about 12" x 12". There is also damage I think on the left/right side of the edges also. I haven?t ripped up the carpet yet to see if there is any other damage. I think there is only wood underneath the carpet, I would guess 1/2" or 5/8" thick plywood.

I am looking at repairing it myself and was wondering if any of you could give me some advice/tips etc before I begin.

Thanks,
Jon

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Soft spots in floor

Before you start, Jon, expect three or four times as much rot as you can feel through the carpet and maybe some stringer rot, too. :(

Jefro573

Seaman

Yeah I was told that the whole floor or most of it may need to be replaced actually depending on what I find. Wouldn?t it be easier to replace the whole floor rather than certain spots? I know it?s a bigger job probably, but easier in a sense, right? Or am I way off?

I will rip up all of the carpet, since it needs to be replaced anyway, this weekend and see what is under there. Will let you know.

Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

in a sense yes, then you know what you have, and do it right.

Jefro573

Seaman

Yeah that?s what I figured. Thanks for the help. That?s what I'll do then; just tear up the entire carpet on the floor to get a better look at the condition of the wood and to see what I will be dealing with.

How do I post pictures to this forum to show you guys what I am dealing with once I start, so you can give me advice if/when you see fit?

Thanks.

Nandy

Commander

You are doing right. BTW, the terminology is deck, not floor, althought we all understand.
I have never seen the advantage of replacing part of the deck. Unless the person if planning to sell the boat and pass the problem of a future deck replacement to someone else.

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the process of doing the same thing.I figure since its all apart now replace it all with new.Going to paint the wood as TD suggested.Put down some nice carpet.Should last a long time.As far as posting pictures Jefro.Go to photobucket.com you will learn all you need to know there.Make sure you resize it to message board size 640 by 800 think it is?It has the option there.Rip it up!

Jefro573

Seaman

Thanks for the advice Fish N Gear. How long as it taken you so far? How costs and I looking at?

I have another question to. My boat also needs two new sleeper/lounge seats for the port and stbd side. They are 21" wide. I got a quote for $325 each to have them rebuilt/reupholstered including the box. I have been looking online for new seats to buy and have found some for half the price but are only 19" wide. Can I use the 19" in place of the 21"

What are the pros/cons of each method?

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am just getting started. So far I have the boat pretty much gutted.Getting ready to clean up all the old glue and carpet backing. I stopped by a upolster shop and asked about getting my old boat seats done.The gal said it will be cheaper to buy new seats.I dont know about your style the bed seats?I am leaning towards the Tempress from Cabelas.They even have some nice addons for them.Covers,nets on back etc.They are on sale for 99.99 right now.We are big people so I dont wanna get nothing flemsy.My friend who is gonna help me on the wood and upolstery only wants fishin trips as payment.He weighs every bit of 350.So I want some good ones.Its gonna be costly doing her up I know.Start adding everything up I want to do.But gonna be way way way way under the price of a new one or someone elses problems.Right now just concentrating on getting it ready for paint this spring.That will keep me busy all winter.Getting the deck pieces all cut out drilled carpeted ready to go in after paint.Re doing all the panels the teak strips on in on lol.Used to love building models,This is just a life size model project.

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is how she sits right now.Other than a real nice neighboor is renting me a garage real real cheap.Going over sunday to get setup organize all my parts that are filling up my shed.So happy to have a place to putz around on it this winter.

GettingNaked038-2.jpg

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is what I uncovered and brought home after its 11 year nap.Its looking better to me each time I spend time on it..

BoatProjectBefore002-1.jpg

tallcanadian

Captain

jefro
i think most sleeper seats come in around 19" you can use these. bass pro carry a few nice sets starting in around 139.00. your better off with these. they are brand new and will last for years. great job fish n geer. looking great.

Jefro573

Seaman

yes great job rob...hopefully mines turns out as well as yours.

Fish N Geer...how were you able to put pictures directly into the post?

Well, I got the carpet off of the floor. Pretty much what I expected. I will be replacing the whole floor. I got a little section of the floor ripped out. It was tough. I set my circular saw to the depth of the floor and cut out a little section. Is this is the easiest way to do it, cut out a certain size section at a time until the whole floor is out. This is going to be quite the project I can tell.

I have a question about the boxes for the seats. They can be removed easily correct? Are they screwed down (I couldn?t find any screws)? Or will I be able to just cut around the bottom of them and lift them straight up?

I have attached two picture for you to see. Let me know if you cant see them.

Attachments

• PA270093.JPG
    PA270093.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PA270092.JPG
    PA270092.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 0

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hopefully someone else can answer your question about the seats?See you already figured out the posting image thing.See you will be going to the wood store soon as well! From what I have seen of restores so far. I am so glad mine is aluminum.That fiberglass stuff looks like double trouble!I have never done anything like this before.Never even been much of a handyman.But it will be fun learning!Figure the more I can learn and do the less this project might cost.Maybe?:eek:

Jefro573

Seaman

Hey guys...got another question for you. There is a little gouge on the starboard side just about 1-2 inches above the rub rail and about a foot or two from the registration letters going towards the stern. The gouge is about a 1/4" deep maybe a little more or less and about the size of a nickel to a quarter size.

Is this something that should be repaired before we go into the water? Is this something that can be patched with a fiberglass kit or something like that? Or should it be done by a professional?