Planting black walnuts.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't think there is any more valuable timber in the US than black walnut.

About 12 years ago I planted about a dozen nuts, about 4" deep in poor clayey soil. Most of them came up but only one survived the late 90s-early 21st century drought to begin bearing last year.

Now I have about a bushel of fresh nuts to plant. Of course I won't live to see them bear, but my grandbuddies will.

I would like some expert advice on when to plant them, how deep, in what sort of soil (I have a lot of choices on The Hideout) and how to nuture them in their early growth.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: Planting black walnuts.

I don't know a whole lot about em except that I do know that the nuts need to be frozen for a period of time to simulate the winter freeze. I have several dozen on my property that the local loggers are always setting their eyes on. This year has been a big production year for them. The locals claim it was due to the very low temps from the past winter. This I have noticed because the winter here before was mild and very little production.

I have a very low area in my back yard where I plan to start some. So I'm a bit curious on getting some started too.

My plans is to put some nuts including the haul into a baggy in the freezer. Come March I'm going to put them in a simple greenhouse to get them to sprout. After that, hopefully they can be replanted into a container for the next couple years. Once they are about 18" high is when they would be transplanted into the area I want them to mature.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Thanks DR, I was on the right track but this cleared up some of the questions I had as well.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, DR. Very helpful. :)

rwise

Captain

I luv black walnuts, and have found many trees in the wild, where they seem to do best is near a creek (or at least a wash). There must be 50 in the valley below here, and had a heavy crop this year! As far as animals (squirrels) they will get them but seem to hit other nuts first (hickory and acorns). Dad has an old blk walnut in his front yard, every nut that gets steped on and pushed into the ground grows! (at least it seems that way;) )