Thrust washers

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1978 85 H.P. Evinrude and the washer under the nut holding the prop on has a crack in it. I have been running it this way all summer. How dangerous is this? Is this the thrust washer? I show a thrust washer and a spacer. The thrust washer is $35.00 at NAPA. The spacer $ 2-3.00 Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thrust washers

The thrust washer is behind the prop. You are looking at the spacer.

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK. Thanks. So the thrust washer goes on the shaft, then the prop, then the spacer and nut and cotter pin. Just want to be sure. Never messed with one this size, only smaller ones. My evinrude service manual shows a pic of this but does not say which is which. Thanks again.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The thrust washer is what keeps the prop from driving forward and chewing up your lower unit.

Mark

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies. I'll put a spacer on. At least it wasn't the washer at $35.00. That's part of owning a boat though. Thanks again.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

The thrust washer is what keeps the prop from driving forward and chewing up your lower unit.

Mark

you are so right mark, look what happened to me the other weekend .... it just shows you to never drink to much the night before a race ...... one get forgetfull ........

06102007168.jpg

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Anybody have a picture of what a thrust washer looks like?

On my Johnson 115 I don't seem to have any kind of separate washer behind the prop, the shaft just has a flange on it that the prop sits up against, but there is no removable washer that can be changed.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If you have a bare prop shaft, notice the area between the splines and the rear of the gearbox. You should notice that the diameter of the shaft is tapered getting larger on the gearbox end. That taper is to accept the thrust washer which is bronze, roughly 2" in diameter, much thicker than normal washers and the inside diameter is tapered to match fit over the taper on that shaft......that is what keeps it from moving up the shaft when you put the prop against it.

Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Har Har. Dee my man, you just have a way with metal. I can see why you require a new engine annually. Grin How's the season going?

Mark

deejaycee_2000

Captain

hahahaha, well 2nd race for the season is coming up this coming weekend .... can't wait, getting my new motor and new boat this week ......