Cobra 4.3L, any good?

ryan04

Petty Officer 1st Class
hey guys quick question, I'm looking at a 1992 19.5" fourwinns right now that has a 4.6L cobra engine. Who makes this engine? is it a chevy engine? The thing apparently doesn't start so I'm just curious what kind of engine it is to work on as well as the quality of engine that it is. Thanks alot.

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cobra 4.6l

Re: Cobra 4.6l

are you sure its not a 4.3 V-6 ?? if so its a chevy..

ryan04

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Cobra 4.3L, any good?

yea sorry, that's what I meant I just looked it up again. Are they a good engine, easy to work on?

bluto3166

Cadet

It's a 4.3l GM engine. I've got a 1990 Renken 4.3L/Cobra - easy to work on both the engine and outdrive.

skeat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's a Chevy. Basically a V8 smallblock with 2 cylinders chopped off. They used them in Blazers among other vehicles. I have an '89 Cobra 4.3 also in a Four Winns. I have no complaints with mine, runs great and fuel efficient. But not knowing what the reason is for that engine not running, it's tough to give any opinion. Most parts are readily available, certain others that are specific to OMC can be pricey but there are still alot of parts around. Bombardier, the company that bought OMC, has OEM parts available and there are aftermarket companies making parts as well. You difinitely want to check the outdrive also but without the engine running that's not an option. You can spin the propeller by hand and observe the shift assembly to see if it operates smoothly and freely and the prop locks when shifting. Might be a good idea to have someone who knows and understands boats to look at it, even if it costs you some money. You can't be cautious enough when buying a boat that is not operating unless you price it for the worst possible scenario, ie:replacing the sterndrive

Nikko

Seaman

Hi Ryan:

The Cobra's an OK system, but it's an orphan. Parts are still around, buy they're getting harder to find and are costing more and finding a shop that has a good OMC guy is getting harder as well. If you're a good home-based wrench, this shouldn't dissuade you.

The 4-winns are a decent hull, but they've been known to have stringer issues. If you're prepared to get the boat looked at by a mechanic you may end up with a good boat. But if you don't - you may end up with more project than you can get out from under.

Good luck!
Nikko

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Great strong little motor.. I have a 1987 Rinker V-180 with the OMC 4.3 V-6 Cobra. it runs Great.. easy to work on too.