confused

I have a 92, 60hp evinrude that throw a rod and ruined the block. I'm looking at buying a 76, 70hp evinrude that hasn't ran for 7 years. what should I look for, or should I save my money and buy a remanufacterd powerhead for the 60hp?

72SideWinderSS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: confused

"or should I save my money and buy a remanufacterd powerhead for the 60hp?"
Yup

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

realize you won't be able to just drop it on your boat and go. Assuming it isn't froze, it'll need a new impeller, carbs rebuilt and all the hoses replaced for starters, maybe a thermostat also. I wouldn't even try to start it until the cylinders have been oil fogged for a while to keep from breaking rings.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

save your money fix what you have, find out why it threw a rod, carbs, water intrusion. as you are going to use these parts back on the rebuilt block.

72SideWinderSS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with RR &TD. At least you will know what you have if you rebuild it your self.

Thanks for your input guys, now are there any suggestions on were to buy a good remanufactured powerhead, and what should I look for? I'm not really fond of bored out small engines. I'm a tractor mechanic so little engines can get confusing to me at times.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Were I in your shoes I would look hard at the 70. If it has good compression, no water in the gearcase I would be tempted to offer a bottom of the barrel price and see where the seller is at. Bringing back to life an "solid" engine that has sat for 7 years is not that big a deal and shopuld not cost a lot.

72SideWinderSS

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can purchase rebuilt power heads right here @ iboats.
Reasonable price with a decent warranty.

dimock44

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might look for a good running boat. I found a 89 bass boat with a 60 HP Johnson with good titles and the guy will take it to the lake for 1200.00 on Craigs list. Then you could sell the boat and trailer. Just a thought. BTW I was the second caller