is this wake fine?

peacekeeper6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It looks a bit different from what i am used to but i have never owned an outboard. the boat moved about 45 on GPS with the 200 johnson on it, the shaft is 25" and hangs approx 2 inches below the lowest part of transom. Is this hurting me any? i ran it for abotu 3 hours up and down the river to get everything running smooth. Ran great after i adjusted the timing.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: is this wake fine?

The antivent plate should be approximately even with the bottom of the boat.
This is a starting point it may go higher or lower.

peacekeeper6

i am at the bottom most hole on my engine mounting plate. and its still 2" below, doesnt seem like its hurting anything. what does the rooster tail look like that people say you get when you use too long a shaft?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You at WOT in the pics?
If so, you need more bow lift.
Looks like it is pushing some.

What boat is it.
That seems a bit slow for a 200.

tashasdaddy

you need a jack plate, you are way too deep.

peacekeeper6

its a 22 grady white CC i am not at WOT, 3/4 there is a noticable difference in speed when i go WOT, i didnt wannt hit WOT and over rev, i dont think i am trimmed in those pics. so 2 inches is really that big a deal then? i mean the hole shot is awsome, when i hook the tach up i will have more of an idea on RPM.

tashasdaddy

the 2 inches is that big a deal, you are dragging too much leg.

peacekeeper6

ok, will get a jack plate tonight, man i am not looking forward to taking that motor off again. Any preferences on jackplates? also the motor seems to be throwing water onto the transom....is this normal with out boards? is there a way to manufacture a jack plate? i saw a design that was very simple but i dont know how sturdy is would be not being connected on the transom side.

21825_0.jpg

I'd spend your money on a Tach first. Grady White is a great boat and I'm sure the dealer knew what he was doing when the motor was installed. If you get the motor too hi you will cavitate when going into a turn or are in rough water, which Gradys are great in. If all your interested in is top speed then go for a hydrolic jack plate, but I think its a waste of time an money. If your getting 45 mph at 3/4 throttle and not trimming the motor then you should get close to another 5-7 miles an hour with more throttle and trim. Thats putting you at 52 mph which is fast for your boat. Keep it as is and just use your trim buttons!

peacekeeper6

yea it seemed to run fine, i dont want it to suck gas but i think it was running ok/.

I just check my owers manual and it says the cavitaion plate should be from .5 to 2" below the lowest part of the transom. Don't waste you money on a Jackplate. It will increase your top speed slightly but you will loose handling in corners and in rough water. If your buying it to get better MPH don't because you won't! Leave your motor as is, as its set up perfectly from what I can see.