Engine burning TOO MUCH oil or water in the gas?

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I went out to start the boat today with the lower in a large tub of water and noticed the motor ( 50hp Force outboard ) was smoking more than it did the last time- alot more. I noticed that I had left the vent open on the gas tank. Could this have caused the excessive smoking? The plugs don't look overly fouled, just wet. Also, there is ALOT of oil in the tub of water.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Engine burning TOO MUCH oil or water in the gas?

Your engine is not oil injected so it's only going to burn as much oil as you put in.

Running it in a barrel concedntrates the fumes. Looks worse than it is.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Is the motor running good? Do not go leaner then 50 to 1 which is about 2.6 oz per gallon of gas. If the weather where you are is cooler then normal you will notice more smoke then on hotter days. With the unburned gas oil you are dumping into the lake I would do a decarb first and see if that fixes the problem. If not you may have to remove and clean the fuel recirculation screens.

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the motor running good? Do not go leaner then 50 to 1 which is about 2.6 oz per gallon of gas. If the weather where you are is cooler then normal you will notice more smoke then on hotter days. With the unburned gas oil you are dumping into the lake I would do a decarb first and see if that fixes the problem. If not you may have to remove and clean the fuel recirculation screens.

What's the best way to decarb?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

There is a really good one in the Frequently asked Questions forum Here is a link click HERE

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a really good one in the Frequently asked Questions forum Here is a link click HERE

Actually, I had added an entire can of Seafoam to the six gallons of fresh gas and new oil mixture that I made up when I got the boat home because I didn't know how it had been treated before I got it. Could that be causing all the smoke?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Definitely. I use it on my lawnmower and it looks like I am fogging mosquitoes. It will also increase the amount of oil floating in the water while you are using it. What is coming out is a good thing. I would not worry about the motor now. You might want to keep a couple spare spark plugs around because that much seafoam will foul spark plugs so your idle may go away due to your plugs.

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Definitely. I use it on my lawnmower and it looks like I am fogging mosquitoes. It will also increase the amount of oil floating in the water while you are using it. What is coming out is a good thing. I would not worry about the motor now. You might want to keep a couple spare spark plugs around because that much seafoam will foul spark plugs so your idle may go away due to your plugs.

GREAT!! I was worried something was wrong. I put the Seafoam in specifically to clean it out. I'm thinking about putting the barrel back under the lower unit and letting the motor idle for a good half hour or so, then fogging it for the winter. Does that sound like a good plan?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

That should work great. Seafoam boast itself as a fuel stabilizer so even if it is in the motor it should not cause you any problems as long as the fuel you have currently is fresh. Which means you wont have to run the gas out of the carbs. If you choose to run the gas out of the carbs make sure when the motor starts to race you are spraying fogging oil into the carbs so they dont run lean. The fogging oil is flammable so it is possible to keep the motor running with just fogging oil. When you put the boat away you might want to put a drip cloth pan under the motor because you will have fogging oil and seafoam gas dripping out for a day or so.