VOLVO taking on water.

LEKNIGHT

Cadet
i have a 73 glastron v184 with a 5.0 ford motor with a volvo penta outdrive. i believe with the engine off i see water dripping from the back and front of the starter. where can this leak be. i dont think it can be from inside the bellhousing where the starter mounts because i think it slopes up. i will be taking it out the next time it is sunny and bring a mirror and flashlight to see above the starter maybe?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: VOLVO taking on water.

Ayuh,.......

It could be a Core Plug, or the Exhaust Manifolds, or a Cracked Block, or,.........................

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Most likely the ujoint bellows has water in it. Unlike a Merc, or OMC Cobra, the engine bellhousing funnels the water right into the flywheel and starter area.
That is why I recommend Volvo owners to change those bellows every other year. It's cheaper than pulling the engine, changing the "Intermediate" bearings, replacing the starter etc. Along with the standard "Replace the ujoints" cause they will rust.

LEKNIGHT

Cadet

how do i check the ujoint bellows for water? and what exactly is it? have a picture?

also how hard and long to change? ive been a mechanic for the last 6 years

Don S

Go to the link below and download an owners manual for your engine (It's an AQ190A)
That will at least let you know a few things about your engine and drive.

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marineengines/operators_manual/operators_manual.htm

You need to remove the upper gear box in order to change the ujoint bellows.

Removingtopbox2-1.png

LEKNIGHT

Cadet

So you think about 2 hours to change it?

wheres a good place for boat parts?

Don S

Go up to the top left of this page and click on Volvo Penta parts and follow the links to your engine. Don't forget the orings to to reinstall the upper gear box.

As far as how long? 2 should do it, but who knows. I also don't know your abilities, tools, acess to your boat etc.
It's going to take what it's going to take.

Don S

Like I said in post #7 of this thread, to to the top of the page and click on Volvo parts.
To R&R the upper gear box and put new oil in, you will need the following orings and gaskets.
955974 Oring (2 of them)
897682 Gasket
125017 Oring
925259 Oring

Might want to go here and get a Service manual for you engine, and one for your drive.

LEKNIGHT

Cadet

thanks for your help. i already ordered the repair manual for the drive.