Coil opinion

iwombat

Captain
I'm making a list of parts needed for the upcoming '77 85hp powerhead swap. I'm a little on the fence about my coils. They all work fine, but are beginning to show the cosmetic signs of age. Nothing serious, but they are original '77 coils.

Replace, or keep?

Discuss . . .

iwombat

Captain
Re: Coil opinion

Plug wires are new as of this season. They're the older green ones.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I was wondering the same thing about mine for this winter. Minor crack on 2 of them, so I figure I should just replace them all while Im at it, get bored over winter anyways, lol. Hard to justify the cost though if they are not arcing and you're getting a good 7/16 of an inch jump, especially on a V6.

iwombat

Captain

I consider it preventative maintenance. I'm out in some pretty wicked tides from time-to-time. Dropping a coil and ending up on the rocks wouldn't be pretty. I'm generally over cautious when it comes to maintenance and normal wear items like this.

I now fear my green coils :)

pgdignan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are they particularly expensive? if not, toss 'em and gain a little piece of mind. I replaced mine on my ancient but honorable 5.5 even though they were sparking solely because I didn't know their history or how long they'd last. One less thing to worry about. :)

iwombat

Captain

About $25 or each - so, $100 give or take for the 4.

The plan is to replace and gain a little piece of mind. I knew the early 70s and prior were all prone to delamination and failure. Didn't know if that went into the late 70s and included all the green buggers. Apparently so.

marcysibyll

Seaman

You are gonna have the flywheel off, so replace them and save the old ones for an emergency.

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

since you guys all agree I think I'm going to go with the blacks...my 78 has the greens on it now...after I get everything going I think I'll do the switch. Hopefully after this weekend I'll have it diagnosed and know why the starbord side isnt' getting fire...have a compression gauge, piston stop (from crane cams for 8$ 14mm), timing light, DVA, and manual coming...hopefully by friday I'll have most of it. I'm axious to jump into it. Why are you going to have the flywheel off to change coils?? or did I miss something?? and on the wiring...just fyi...I have an electrician friend that is always up on the newest stuff and always tells me about it. 3M makes some black goo that can be brushed onto wires and will make a permant insulation...alot of times we try to splice...and it looks bad and allows moisture into the wires...I think this stuff will be great...will repair plug wires also if you use "rubber" tape then coat the tape with the goo. Think this stuff would be good for scraps and cuts in your insulation instead of putting a butt connector in or heat shrink wrap...this will be a permanent seal...let me know if you want the name and # off this stuff and I'll post it if your interested.

dimock44

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Huckleberry I'd like the info please. I got some stuff from Home Cheapo a few years back and I don't recall if it was 3M or not, but it worked well on the splices going to a fountain in the yard thats always getting wet from the sprinklers. This stuff was a little runney and it looked like about 3 coats were needed. I would like a better goo if possible.

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

3M Scotchkote Electrical Coating Part No. 054007-14853 Hope that helps...

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ranger, here is another off my points about your new business venture, the older motors had the coils under the flywheel, only way to replace them and the points is to pull the flywheel.

Not trying to discourage you, keep working and learning and reading here, but continue to work on it and gain exp. then try it out, i just dont think that other peoples boats are where you want to learn on, unless its exactly like what you have worked on in the past.

Sorry about the hijack.

A note on the liquid electrical stuff, they make one that is sold at walmart in the boat section, havenot used it though.

Id replace maybe two at a time and keep the olds on one w/exposed coils, easy to switch if one fails but if under the flywheel better do all, since its a tough job on the water in chop!!

I know u know this but loose one still get home two maybe still limp home or in that guy ivatar's case two will still get you 32mph and a skiier up on skiis, and run it for several years. See the post, pretty funny:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=223212

-Nate

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

clems, yeah I saw that...that is a pretty funny post...hard to believe really...but I guess logically is possible like wombat was saying...lol. no compression it would just be like a two cylinder. I put a reply to you on that other thread...I know what you mean...but I think I could change fluids on most outboards and do compression checks and the such to get ready for spring. I'll stop talking, not trying to jump your thread either.

iwombat

Captain

I think the thread has served its purpose, so hijak away.

Evinrude sells their own electrical coating goo. That's what I use.