Remote controls for 1986 Mercruiser I/O

1Moredrift

Seaman Apprentice
Hello gang,

I have a 1986 GW Offshore 24 that came with a mercruiser 260 HP sterndrive (alpha). I have since repowered to 300 horizon with a bravo drive but the remote controls were not replaced.

The problem I am having is the gear in the remote control where the throttle handle connects is worn and the the throttle handle will only grab if I move it out a little from the unit. Now that I have moved the throttle handle out slightly and tightening the set screw I can put the boat in and out of gear without a problem but I cannot depress the neutral button that allows you rev the engine in neutral.

My questions:

1. Is there a trick to getting the nuetral button in and advancing the throttle while keeping the boat in neutral? I am down to about 2-3 weeks for this season and I would like to get by until the boat is out of the water.

2. How difficult a job is replacing the remote control unit all together? Can it be done in while the boat is still in the water or does it require a haul-out? Any special tools required?

Thanks in advance for your patience and assistance with this problem.

Best Regards,

Terry

alaska_av8r

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Remote controls for 1986 Mercruiser I/O

Terry,

I had a similar problem with my remote shifter, however most of my splines were worn out. I will be replacing it this winter but until then I fixed it a different way and it actually works just fine. However the best option is to just buy a new remote and they aren't that hard to replace.

How I fixed mine:
I totally removed the set screw then slid the handle off the unit. I marked where the set screw should normally go and then drilled into the splines just enough to make a small indention. I slid the handle back on and tightened the set screw. The handle now sits in its original position and the neutral switch works just fine. You have to be careful however when drilled not to drill all the way through, drill just enough to give the set screw and indention to fit in.

I also reworked the inside of the remote unit since my neutral safety switch wasn't working. Now my remote was mounted inside the side of my boat with only the handle accessible unless you laid on your back and reached up behind the side panel. So if yours is like this, once the handle is off there should be a few (mine had 3) screws holding a plate. Remove these screws then the plate slides off and the remote can be slid into the side of the boat and pulled to a position where you can access it.

Hope that helps some.....

1Moredrift

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Alaska,

The drill idea just might work for me. My controls are a top mount on a flat surface of my dash. On initial inspection, it looks like it is going to be tough to access the bolts that hold in in place. Will I need to replace cables or anything else or should the new control just hook up the way the old one did?

Thanks again.

alaska_av8r

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The cables question I cannot definitely answer. I would probably replace them as well but here is how I would determine. I would disconnect the cable from the remote, then disconnect from the throttles and shifter. Then move the cables by hand and ensure they slide freely, with no binding or rough spots.

As the cables age they will also stretch which can lead to shifting problems etc, some of this may be adjusted out though.

So if you plan on keeping the boat for a long time, it would probably be a good idea to replace them.

Maybe someone else will chime in on the cable issue as far as what you need to order etc....