1977 Johnson 115 hp Idle Problem

spiker_man

Cadet
Hi All. I have a 1977 Johnson 115 hp outboard. I'm having problems going from idle speed to flooring it (i.e., like trying to pull a wakeboarder out of the water). The engine stalls out if I quickly advance the throttle. Doesn't happen all the time . . . but it happens enough lately that I'm going to need to have it looked at. At times I can slowly start moving forward and then throw the throttle forward to start moving faster. Any clues on what I should be looking for? I'd like to appear somewhat knowledgeable when I go to the mechanic and he asks what's wrong . . . I'm thinking that the carb may need a good cleaning or rebuild. Am I on the right track or am I far off base? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Paul

iwombat

Captain
Re: 1977 Johnson 115 hp Idle Problem

I think you're probably right on target. It could also be dropping spark in one cylinder. Are you getting up to full throttle eventually?

spiker_man

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. Yes,I do get up to full throttle. I have noticed that the spark plugs do seem to get fouled up (oily) fairly quickly. I bought this boat used and have only had it for a couple of years so I don't know if this is normal for this engine. I put new plugs in at the start of the season . . . only used the boat 5-6 times this summer and last month when I looked at the plugs they were pretty dirty. I'm going to be taking it out again this weekend and am planning on putting in new plugs to see what happens.

iwombat

Captain

When's the last time it was decarbed?

spiker_man

Cadet

Not sure. I've had the boat for only 2 years. I did pour a can of carb cleaner in the gas tank back in August when I last filled up the tank. I don't know if anyone ever decarbed the engine prior to my purchasing the boat. Thanks.

iwombat

Captain

I'd start out with a proper decarb. You're way over due. Check out the FAQ for the procedures. Anything else you do, won't matter much if you've got a carbon problem trumping it all.

spiker_man

Cadet

Thanks iwombat. I'll be doing the decarb this weekend.