How much did your boat project cost?

dubnvento

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm about to embark on a restoration of my 1965 Larson 14' Runabout. I'm unsure at this point how far I want to go into the restoration or if I just want to fix up things here and there.

How much did your projects cost? Post pics if you have them.

I would love to get great ideas on what to do on my boat.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: How much did your boat project cost?

My 15-foot Starcraft cost me $250 to purchase and maybe $1500 in materials and such to rebuild. It needed transom, floor, stringers and interior so there was about 5 gallons of epoxy, 5-sheets of plywood, a few yards of vinyl and a pair of new back-to-back seats. I also installed a new Teleflex helm & cable. I already owned the motor, a good runner, from my previous boat, so there wasn't any further investment on that front...

- Scott

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Mine was very similar to Chinewalkers. Paid $200 for the boat and probably spent close to $1500 on the restoration which included new floor, carpet, seats, gauges, steering system, etc. We also put close to a grand into the motor much of which we probably could have done ourselves if I'd found this website sooner!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I find it a better idea not to ask or to record what my projects cost.

The raw numbers might make me think that I had only invested in the finished product, which is probably "worth" a lot less than I spent.

The true value of a project must include the fun of planning and carrying out the project, as well as the joy of creation.

That way, when I sell a finished boat I accept that I got a lot of worth of recreation out of the project.

tallcanadian

Captain

i paid too much for the boat, 1400.00. i put another 1200 into it. the motor, however was perfect. i was lucky there. would i do it again? in a heartbeat. but i could do it now for a little less money. actually, i have my eye on another project..don't tell the wife.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i make the boat structurally safe, then worry about the cosmetics. the cosmetics are far more costly, than make it safe. watch ebay, craigslist for seats, electronics, etc. i have never kept complete records of my restores, but i figure i have never made one cent buying and selling. it just a disease that takes over.

Robj

Lieutenant

It cost me about $2,200 CDN by the time I got my boat home. It cost me $1,700 US to buy it, probably could have got it cheaper but it is a 1992. Total cost for the whole project is about $6,500. Replaced stringers, floor, and transom. It is probably worth about 10K. It was worth it. Will do it again, probably next year.

Have a great day,

Rob.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Our Lund has cost us way too much. Didn't use the info on this site soon enough. We have made profits on boats before. The key is to jump fast on the deals, and get ones that require elbow grease, and not money. Occaisionally, we have been able to buy a boat, and turn around and sell it without doing a thing.
Switching them around on different trailers, and changing up boat/motor combinations sometimes will do well, provided you know what the high demand is in your neighborhood. But, I am talking mostly jons and canoes here. Larger boats tend to loose value faster, and you certainly ain't gonna make a profit restoring them. We restore them, mostly for the fun of it.

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

For the 15' Tri-Hull
$1200 for the boat.
$250 to go ge it from Texas 550 miles away.
$1200 new floor, seats, interior trim, paint, redo trailer, etc.
$1600 '87 Johnson 70 horse OB when the Chrysler blew in 15 minutes.

Total approximately: $4250.00

I could probbly get $3000-3500 for it.

The completed project:
breaktimeS.jpg

An entire summer of being on the water every weekend: $priceless

bigboneli

Seaman Apprentice

When I get to the end, I'll tell you the amount...You can then get behind my wife, as she'll want the first beating ;)

Prolly 2500$ canadian so far...but miles to go.

redfury

Commander

So far, I'm $450 into the raw boat and trailer. Paints and other smaller items probably ran up to about another $200 up to this point. Of course, I'm mostly finished with demolition, I've got a ways to go yet.

hb1111

Recruit

seems like you guys are getting away pretty cheap im in my boat well over 7000.00 but thats with a 2002 honda 90 h.p and a 19' hawaiian built boat it needs floors and transom i hoping to use the seacast but im afraid the shipping will be to much...to hawaii that is...ok i just called seacast and its 204.60 per 5 gal. pail complete plus 82.00 shipping ea. pail wow....pricey

OCGrady

Recruit

I spent $2,000 for a 1977 20' Grady White Hatteras Overnighter. So far I've spent $2,100 on a 2yr old trailer and my next step will be to have the 65 gal. aluminum gas tank checked out by a pro and have a new fuel sending unit put on. I'm getting a professionally re-done 200hp '89 Johnson motor (new bottom unit etc.) for $2,500. But with some new wiring, some cosmetics, and electronics, I'll have a nice little saltwater fish-getter.

redfury

Commander

seems like you guys are getting away pretty cheap im in my boat well over 7000.00 but thats with a 2002 honda 90 h.p and a 19' hawaiian built boat it needs floors and transom i hoping to use the seacast but im afraid the shipping will be to much...to hawaii that is...ok i just called seacast and its 204.60 per 5 gal. pail complete plus 82.00 shipping ea. pail wow....pricey

Isn't it worth having a transom that you should NEVER have to worry about again? Worthwhile investment IMHO.

I'll be spending upwards 400 bucks plus shipping for the seacast needed to fill my transom, plus the fiberglass to build the backside of it. I'm investing it into a 1975 Glastron Trihull. If I ever sell the boat, that will be one of the biggest selling points, along with customizations I plan on doing to the floor/storage.

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well my Glasspar has seen two redos, the first time around I think I spent about $500 getting the hull, which was gutted, with no floor and full of waterlogged foam, seaworthy. I spent another $240 or so getting a usable trailer under it, and had a Lark III Evvy from another boat. However I had less than $200 in that motor including two parts motors to make it happen.

So I would say I had around $900 total in it the first time, got it in December of '97 and had it in the water in September of '99, painted with Easypoxy, with coolers as seats. I used it this way until '05.

Then a couple greenhorn mistakes "pre I boats advice" added up to some re work. I then decided to do a much nicer paint job using higher quality paints, and upgrade to a newer outboard with some reliability. I would say I put about $700 in paint, hardware and such, and spent another $650 on the motor which I got a deal on. I worked on it off and on (more off than on) and re splashed it in June of '06.

This spring I picked up another old boat ('67 Glassmaster) with a really good trailer for $400, traded the boat and my old trailer which was better suited to a narrower beamed, flatter bottomed boat to a buddy who helped lay tile in my kitchen.

All in all, I have under three thousand in a unique boat that gets compliments where ever I go. It's small enough I can pull it with a mid size FWD car and launch/load it without help, yet has a deep enough vee and flare to the bow so it handles some decent chop.

kalla man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

$100 for hull and trailer
$1500 rebuild materials: (resin,cloth,wood,sandpaper,brushes,primer,paint etc)
$1000 for motor, cc, hydraulic steering, battery, wiring, lights
$39,999.95 in labor :)

Mr Hands

Seaman Apprentice

the boat was Dad's '70 fiberglass Alumacraft as a gift, but had to pay tax on it.
gutted it: new stringers, sole, ground off two layers of paint down to gelcoat below the waterline, then added new glass mat layer and skimcoated with epoxy paste.
New seats (seating for 6), new wiring, new gauges, new oil tank, new bilge pump. Some new trailer parts.

Stopped counting at $2000, probably added $600 - $1000 since, but I'm not including cost of beer.

Motor is in great shape, got new SS prop.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

I refuse to answer on the grounds that my wife might find out.

$1500 (Cdn, hey that's more than the USD right now) for the boat
about that much to repair the motor and leg.
$1300 to replace said motor and leg (broken again) and trade for an outboard
$250 for added wood for the transom and other misc pieces to make said outboard fit.
$200 for Hippo liner, fiberglass etc.
$1500 for a full top (that I'm likely going to replace with aluminum)

Can't remember prices for
Teraflex steering.
Jack plate
seats
tires

Not including
anchor
fish finder
dual electric downriggers
fishing gear
kicker

Price per pound of fish caught??????