Roof Mold

jonewby

Cadet
In this part of VA, roof mold is a problem. Mold is just starting to develope on my 7 year old fiberglass shingles. Anyone know of a safe way to clean without damaging the shingles? Is there anything I can apply to prevent mold from forming?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Roof Mold

I haven't used it but my neighbor says cheap bleach like you get at the Dollar Store works.

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Bleach will kill it, but will come back.

There are some commercial products that will prevent it as well as shingles that are treated to kill the algae. A Guber solution is to stretch a bare copper wire along the bottom edge of the top row of shingles. The rain will leach copper from the wire and kill the algae. Zinc will do the same thing. If you look at the roof, areas below galvanized flashings, TV tripods, and vents will be clear of the any growth.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

I would have a big problem treating the mold. Whatever you put on it is going to seep into the underlayment.

Other than unsightly, there is no issue.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Out here in wet Washington I use 'Moss-B-Ware"..green tube..Home Depot/Lowes

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Out here in wet Washington I use 'Moss-B-Ware"..green tube..Home Depot/Lowes

Ditto to Scatty. Costco often has it in season as well and it is a lot better priced. It is a granule that you sprinkle at the peak of the roof sections that grow the moss. I've used it now for 17 years and there is not a speck of moss on my roof. When I first saw it, 17 years ago, I got up and killed it with a liquid moss killer (it was summertime) After that I applied the granuals every fall, just as it started to get wet out.

You want the granules to dissolve and slowly run down the roof so don't apply it before a windstorm or a heavy rain.

I will say this. The stuff is hard on steel gutters. I had to have mine replaced last year. (20 years old, 17 of them using the moss killer) The two sides of the house that I have had to apply the moss killer, the gutters were eaten out. I had to hold them together for their last rainy season, with duct tape.

However, the gutters cost 900$ to replace, the roof would cost me 15-20K. Neighbors all around me (same age) are having to have their roofs replaced. Mine is still in excellent shape. Moss will kill composition shingles.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

I don't think he is talking about moss. This area is real bad for a black fungus getting on the roofs. I recently had a roof put on with new type shingles that is suppose to prevent it.

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Moss or mold - they both respond to Chlorine bleach. Use a commercial moss killer or simply (and this works!) sprinkle Tide with bleach along the roof line and let it wash down.

And for the guy that ONLY got 20 years on his steel gutters, that certainly exceeds the norm. I hope you replaced with plastic!

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In this part of VA, roof mold is a problem. Mold is just starting to develope on my 7 year old fiberglass shingles. Anyone know of a safe way to clean without damaging the shingles? Is there anything I can apply to prevent mold from forming?

There is a bunch of sites on the net regarding this problem. Google "remove roof stains" and "prevent roof stains". You'll find a solution that fits your problem, temperament, and wallet.:D

gss036

Commander

I've got a lime green color mold on my roof, I have tried the cans of MOSS-B-WARE 2 years in a row, doen't seem to touch it. I just ordered some stuff ( Roof Cleaner QSE 4500 ) from a company (CleanerTODAY.com ) in GA to see if it will work. Anything to get my wife off the subject, she thinks the roof needs replaced after 10 years.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Bleach will kill it, but will come back.

There are some commercial products that will prevent it as well as shingles that are treated to kill the algae. A Guber solution is to stretch a bare copper wire along the bottom edge of the top row of shingles. The rain will leach copper from the wire and kill the algae. Zinc will do the same thing. If you look at the roof, areas below galvanized flashings, TV tripods, and vents will be clear of the any growth.

That may seem a bit to easy, but it work's like a charm for my NW house, after 7 year's on a 30 year roof she started to get mold or whatever. I strung two line's and no more issue's along two neighbor's who have done like wise......Hmm im in a new home now which remind's me to take a look...;)

Bob Fort

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Install a zinc strip along the first course of shingles below the ridge vent. There is a roofing product manufactured w/ the zinc strip in it. Rain washes over the zinc, down the roof, and keeps mold and mildew from forming. Works great for me in central NYS. Added about $100 to the cost of re-roofing.

Google Z-Strip for more info.

KRS

Banned

Install a zinc strip along the first course of shingles below the ridge vent. There is a roofing product manufactured w/ the zinc strip in it. Rain washes over the zinc, down the roof, and keeps mold and mildew from forming. Works great for me in central NYS. Added about $100 to the cost of re-roofing.

Google Z-Strip for more info.

I've heard of this too, the zinc kills the mold.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Moss-B-Ware is 99% Zinc Sulfate.
But ya really need a clean roof to start with. It will kill moss/mold, but a good build up will be a lot tougher.

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer

One of the houses I lived in (North Carolina) seemed to get a lot of black mold on the sides. To the point where the white paint looked grey (black in some places).

I used "Zep" brand "Mold and Mildew" cleaner. It worked really well - spray it on, wait a few, rinse it off with water.

Just wear work clothes - if it gets in em, it will bleach em pretty good.

-V