Johnson 75 HP Stinger With Water In The Motor

Wellcraft222XL

Recruit
Hello All,

I just picked up a '76 Johnson 75 Stinger. The seller said he got it to start and turned the water on and it quit. He said he then pulled the plugs and there was water in the 2 lower cylinders. He cleaned all that out and didn't let it sit. My question is, are these motors known for having a defect that would cause this condition. My first guess would be head gasket. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

1730V

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson 75 HP Stinger With Water In The Motor

No particular issues. Your first guess is probably the correct one.

I haven't seen a Stinger in a while. Is it bright orange?

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

ill agree with head gasket

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If It's Not The Head Gasket, Check The Exhaust Cover And Gasket.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I agree, it is the exhaust cover. There is a long spread between bolts and they warp at the slightest hint of overheating. Then they squirt water into the exhaust ports. Usually destroys the bearings before you even know you have a problem.

Wellcraft222XL

Recruit

Thanks for the responses. I had seen posts regarding the exhaust cover leaking water into the motor but most of the posts were for Merc motors. I'm glad these motors are not known for long term defects. My plan is to go through the power head this winter and replace what needs replaced. I will be using this motor for a race boat next year so I want everything to be sound. The class calls for completely stock motors so I won't be able to do any modifications while I'm in there. I am fairly new to outboard but not small engines in general. I need to purchase a manual. What manual is going to be the best?

Thanks again,

Jason

iwombat

Captain

"completely stock" often times has a few items on the wiggle-room list. If your rules allow for aftermarket replacement reeds consider adding a set of boyesen. They might not, but it's worth a check.

Wellcraft222XL

Recruit

"completely stock" often times has a few items on the wiggle-room list. If your rules allow for aftermarket replacement reeds consider adding a set of boyesen. They might not, but it's worth a check.

I will check into this. Thanks.

Jason