84/85 parts interchange

jnk111

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 88 force 85hp now (black/gray cover). I have the chance to buy 2 84/85 85hp motors (white cover) for under 400 bucks with bad lower units, supposedly they both run. I was wondering if the ignition parts will interchange, as long as the ignition boxes are black like mine? Things like stator, trigger, coils etc..

Thanks,

Joe

jnk111

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 84/85 parts interchange

Also, what is the name of my ignition, I have a online seloc manual and don't what to look under. I have the two control boxes and the three coils all black.

My choices on seloc are: Prestolite, thunderbolt, compacitor discharge module (this one looks to be 1996 and new I think)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You have Prestolite.
Most parts should swap out.

The lower units probably won't fit, because of different driveshafts, but you said they were bad anyways.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Even if your 88 has a 2 piece drive shaft, the earlier lower units will swap right in. Everything--bolt pattern, drive shaft length, splines, shift rod--is the same.

I never paid attention to years using different ignition so: If your 88 has Prestolite ignition using a terminal board on the bypass side of the engine just below the CD boxes, and IF the 84/85 engines use Prestolite ignition using made-up quick connectors:

Then, you must swap out the complete ignition, unless you enjoy cutting and soldering or crimping wires. However, again, everything will just bolt right up. The only difference is made-up connections versus terminal connections. (trigger wires are much thinner on the terminal connections though) The stator carrier is the same and the CD box mounting plate is the same.

Now also, I have seen on this forum where black and blue CD boxes must not be mixed, however, I inherited an engine with one black and one blue box. It also has one blue coil. Seems to run OK but it's been a while so don't quote me on this.

Nate3172

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From what I have read, the reason one should not interchange blue ignition parts with the black is there is a large difference in the resistance across the two systems. It will work and probably run ok but the life span of the parts can be substantially decreased (overheating coils is the main failure). This is the reason for the color change for the blue is an updated ignition system.

Nate3172

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Re-read Franks post. You can run a blue cd box with a blue coil and a black with black. Can even have a blue set controlling one set of cylinders and a black set controlling another set of cylinders. Shouldn't have a blue cd box with black coil or vice versa.