alpha 1 gen 2 lower unit

wallydc2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1991 3.0l mercruiser with the alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive. I was given bad info, told that there was an impeller in the top cap of the outdrive. When I removed this cap there was nothing under there but bearings and a race in the cap. On the outer end you can see were the water flows from the water pump (which now I know is in the lower unit). Anyway when I replaced the cap it leaked. Read my seloc manual and it states that there is no need for a gasket. I suppose that would off set the bearing and race. So further research I found that there is supposed to be a rubber plug in the hole. Ordered the rubber plug, inserted it, torqued the screws to 20lbs, started the engine and yep the cap still leaks! The O ring around the lower unit oil section was also replaced to make sure water was not getting in the oil. But how do I stop it from leaking? It did not leak before I removed it. Can I use 3m 5200 around the rubber plug I inserted? Is the plug necessary since it wasn't there in the first place?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: alpha 1 gen 2 lower unit

Read my seloc manual and it states that there is no need for a gasket

Guess now you know EXACTLY why I hate both Clymers and Seloc for all there stupid information.
There is a thin oring around the top cover.
Fix it right, no need for 5200.

PS. Here is a link to download a free manual for you Gen II outdrive and your engine.

http://www-alt.mercurymarine.com/mnetdata/sisdata/srvcovr.pdf

You want manual #13 for your engine, and #14 for your drive.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Exactly what is this "rubber plug" you mention.There is no plug under that cap.Also that water you see does not come from the water pump. those 2 cavities should have 2 very small holes for drainage.

wallydc2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's called a stuffer plug. I found it in service manual 14 that Don sent me. It also says to use quick silver perfect seal around the water reservoir but no mention of this stuffer plug. The quick silver will probably solve my problem but does that plug need to be there? The guys at the local boat shop say that most boats come in without that plug.

And by the way thanks Don S.

wallydc2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can see this stuffer plug on page 128 service manual 14, it doesnt stop the water from leaking but I have a feeling that the perfect seal will if I can find it locally.