Can someone tell me about FICHT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dicktaber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is the actual technology? Is it a direct-injection 2-stroke?
What rae the similarities to/differences from Merc OptiMax? Any links/info appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can someone tell me about FICHT?

It is a direct injection system. It is similar to the Merc Optimax and the Yamaha HPDI engines. The merc system is more complicated as it has both air and fuel injectors. The Fich has just a fuel injector. These type engines are known for a true 33% better fuel economy over normal carb engines. They will get same or slightly better fuel economy than a 4 stroke and weigh much less, have better emissions and have better low end torque.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Dont know how true it is but I have also heard that they give about 50% more problems than a carbed motor. But that is only what I have heard !!!!

dicktaber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you, especialy for the comparisons between the Mercury, Eninrude, and Yamaha.

If I do a search for FICHT, all I come up with is individual problems. If I google FICHT, it's not much better.

Is there a reference book on the technologies related to the Direct Injection systems? Perhaps one that outlines the details in the different applications as used by Yamaha, Mercury, Evuinrude?

Thanks again, Rich

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Bombardier killed the FICHT terminology a few years ago when they came out with the ETEC injectors. Try looking up ETEC. Both Ficht and Optimax engines had problems with they came out in the mid to late 90's. Both companies had a number of service bulletins related to upgrades on their engines. Generally, these engines are now very reliable-check out the available 5 and 6 year warranties offered with them today. I'd try the manufacturer's websites and see if they offer better explanations of their direct inject systems.

dicktaber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you. I have been to Evinrude, Mercury and Yamaha's websites. They are very thin on content. Basically they all say "ours is the greatest!" without even the slightest technical discussion. None even defines what "direct injection" is....

Fortunately, I had read up on Orbital, which (AFAIK) pioneered direct injection, but that was ten-plus-years ago. I imagine that there has been some development since then....or so I would hope. But there is a dearth of actual technical discussion.

Once again, any pointers on technical discussion are welcome.
Thanks, Rich

2cycle plus

Recruit

Well, let me say this about Ficht Technology. I've had 2 Evinrude Ficht engines, both 175 hp. When the ran, they were great gengines. Thrifty on fuel usage, great on power production, but always had issues. You had better have deep pockets or a good mechanic because you will need both. I'm now looking at my second emm repair, and at $2500 a pop, this does get your attention, especially when a repair is only good for about 50 hours of usage.

Haffiman

Commander

You have basically two systems used as of today:
'FICHT'(Call it E-Tech today, but same principle) which use a high pressure injector directly into the cylinder, air sucked through crank case.
ORBITAL(Optimax) which use an injector with less pressure, but has added an 'air compressor' to be able to atomize the fuel injected as well as getting correct fuel/air mix.
The early versions of both were a bit 'shaky', but development of injectors, lubrication systems and electronics have eliminated/reduced a lot (most?) of the early problems.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Not all of the FICHT and not all of the OPTIMAX engines had issues of the same degree. It seems the smaller FICHT engines were not as troublesome as the larger versions.

One of the differences in the FICHT - ETEC systems is that the FICHT injectors were a one-way design meaning an electrical signal pulses the injector open but a spring pushed it closed. An ETEC injector is "voice coil" design where electrical pulses push and pull the injector open and closed. Beyond that, better ECM design and better programming are the basis of current ETEC technology. Those engines can also be programmed to run the more expensive oil or conventional TCW-III. If you've read the Orbital documents you pretty much know what you need to know about the Optimax setup. Compressors were a real issue with the early Opti's.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

i had an 150 V6 ficht and all in all i would resume its a very good engine. no nightmare of a blown engine, no burned EMM, no faulty oil or fuel pump or simply not a bad engine. i had some issues but they were minor.

it was the modified ficht "ram" where a watercooled emm with new mapping, pinned cylinderheads with deflectors , new injectors and many more were introduced to solve the problems of the first 98-99 fichts.

when it comes to fuel and oil consumption, smooth and smokefree operation, the ficht dramatically outperforms EVERY carbed 2stroke and is head to head with a 4stroke EFI. further the hole shot and power of this thing is also simply stunning.

in my opinion many ficht problems occour because end users do not want to respect that they need a special type of plug which has to be indexed and gapped and they need the xd-50 oil - NO straight TCWIII . this engines are very sensitive to clean fuel, correct plugs and correct oil.

for sure you will find in this forum far more topics about problems with carbed engines than with the fichts and that should answer if they are bad or not.

the downside of this technology is that when something goes bad it may become very costly and the engine is that complicated that without special knowledge and diagnostic software you cannot repair much by yourself.

cheers !

2cycle plus

Recruit

Cheers, after 2 Ficht engines, I find EMM failures are my problem. How can this be related to plug or oil issues? Can any body out there tell me if there is a reliable EMM repair depot. Is repair or replace the best way to go. What can I do to prolong EMM service life.

Thanks, JD

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Please stop arguing threads from 2007 in 2012. The poster that brought it up is a newbie and was dragging up all of the old FICHT threads from a LONG time ago. Just notify the moderator team.

2cycle plus

Recruit

Dont know how true it is but I have also heard that they give about 50% more problems than a carbed motor. But that is only what I have heard !!!!

It's true......Ficht's give much better fuel economy but............

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Closed :mad: People do not listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.