1961 Johnson 75hp

ddmcnair

Recruit
Just inherited a 1961 (I think) Johnson 75hp.

It's been sitting upside down in a basement for the last 35 years and didn't have very much use prior to that so it should be reasonably sound. I think it would be fun to put together a nice vintage rig.

Any suggestions, sources, forums, manuals, parts, etc. regarding how I should proceed to recondition this engine? What are the tasks and what is the sequence?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Doug

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1961 Johnson 75hp

This is a great site with knowledgeable people. But even better is the Antique Outboard Motor Club's website, aomci.org. They have an Ask-A-Member forum, and a links page with a wealth of sources of parts and info as well as a free want ad space for finding those elusive parts. Heck, attend a local meet. Warning: you might get hooked on collecting and restoring old motors.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have one of those engines hanging in my shop. It is complete (minus the fuel pump), it is also stuck from sitting. Let me know if you need anything off of it. Would like to see someone get some good out of it. BTW it's a short shaft motor.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Guy74, does yours have a generator belt? I would like to get mine charging again.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No it wasn't equiped with a generator, one of the reasons it got replaced.