Compression??1964 johnson 60hp

fish-n-crazy

Seaman Apprentice
Would you guys know what the compression should be on this motor -1964 johnson super seahorse 60hp-and also couldnt find a water pump kit for it on here either.Went to johnson parts on top and they didnt have one,only thing they had was a impeller kit,would that be ok just to putting the impeller kit in? Any help would be much appreciated,thanks in advance my fellow friends.:)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Compression??1964 johnson 60hp

impeller kit should be fine, you want the compression to be with in 10% of each other, more than the number, as guages differ, i would like to see it above 100psi.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

My '58 Fat Fifty (forerunner of that motor) had normally low compression. I would think a minimum of 75PSI and all even, would be acceptable.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I reckon I'm in the minority, but I think it's dumb to put a new impeller in a worn out old aluminum pump housing. And they DO wear out. My advice it to tear it down and look before ordering parts. If the housing is worn, order a complete new pump kit, otherwise an impeller will do.

The complete pump kit is part number 379776. You have to get that from a dealer or somebody selling OEM parts.

fish-n-crazy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the expertise advise on my questions,will take your advise on tearing it down to see if the housing is worn first. The fellow working on it now said the motor looked as if it had hardly been ever used.