What am I missing???

Speedy4

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone, maybe someone can answer this problem.

I have 1975, 135HP Evinrude Strangle (not original owner). The problem has always been hard starting. I have posted this before and have done a number of things, rebuilt carbs, adjust choke, timing, throttle, compression check, ect. Nothing helped. (I always pump the bulb on the fuel line before starting)

I have to take a 10cc syringe of gas and spray into the carbs to get it to start after sitting a day. Once it starts, it starts all the time, even after a few hours. Whether the motor had been up or in the water. I have no performance problem. Runs great once it starts.

When the boating day is over I always disconnet the battery, fuel line from the gas can and pull the motor up. One day I left the gas can connected but unvented and came back the next day and it started right up. I thought it was a fluke. So to test it out again, I disconnected the gas can and came back the next day and no start. So after priming it again with the syringe it starts. I take a quick run, pull the motor up and leave the fuel line connected to the gas can. (a different one this time but still with the cap closed so it is unvented)

Next day, starts right up.

What am I missing that causes the hard start with the gas disconected?

Thanks in advance!
John

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: What am I missing???

Why are you disconnecting the fuel supply ?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Leave the fuel line connected.
Does this motor have the electric choke(fuel primer)?
If so try this.Pump up ball,turn ignition on(one click of the key to the right),
push key in to choke and hold it counting to 8,then try to start..
This gives the fuel primer time to squirt fuel in the carbs..

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I was going to get to that too Gary, was curious as to why disconnect the fuel every night?? Only thing that I would add to Garys post would be to raise the fast idle lever after pumping the bulb, that motor does have a fast idle lever does it not??

Speedy4

Seaman Apprentice

Why are you disconnecting the fuel supply ?

Just do. No real reason other than if there happened to be a leak somewhere in the fuel system 5 gals of fuel would not potentially syphone make it into the bildge or the lake.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

No need to do that, winterizing is different, but thats a whole other can of apples. Try the start up procedure like Gary said, leaving the fuel line connected and you shouldnt have to carry that syringe anymore :)

Speedy4

Seaman Apprentice

The choke is solenoid activated, push in the key and it pulls the choke plates closed. release the key on opens them. there is no manual choke access on the outside of the motor.

It does have a fast idle lever for starting. It has been check and adjusted.

I read another post about the fuel primer. I really don't know what one is and from the evinrude service manual dose not mention one.

I remove the fuel line and gas tanks from all my boats when they are going to sit for the week. Maybe just being paranoid, lol.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The fuel primer is the black bulb that you pump before starting, inline with your fuel line.

iwombat

Captain

You don't have a primer on that boat. Just the solenoid and choke plates.

I gotta admit, I'm pretty stumped on this one. There should be no issue over removing the fuel lines from the motor. Only thing I can think of is if you've got a bad needle valve or your fuel pump has a bad diaphragm and the extra pumping you're doing after re-connecting the line is flooding out the motor. I don't think that's very likely, but I can't think of anything else.

Speedy4

Seaman Apprentice

If i have to leave the fuel can connected, then i guess that is what i will do. I have 2 other 60's and 70's motors, johnson and evinrude that i do the same thing.

All i do is connect the fuel can, raise the fast idle lever, pump the buld, pull out the choke or push in the key to set the choke soleniod and they start.
I just find it odd that this one wouldn't do the same thing.

Speedy4

Seaman Apprentice

The fuel primer is the black bulb that you pump before starting, inline with your fuel line.

ok, i have that. I was thinking it has something to do with injecting fuel whem choked.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I think that Bat is in the right area with mentioning the possibility of flooding somehow. When is the last time the carbs were rebuilt?? A new diaphragm is very cheap for your fuel pump and even if it doesnt help its not a bad thing to have changed.

Speedy4

Seaman Apprentice

You don't have a primer on that boat. Just the solenoid and choke plates.

I gotta admit, I'm pretty stumped on this one. There should be no issue over removing the fuel lines from the motor. Only thing I can think of is if you've got a bad needle valve or your fuel pump has a bad diaphragm and the extra pumping you're doing after re-connecting the line is flooding out the motor. I don't think that's very likely, but I can't think of anything else.

Yes, i am baffeld myself. I am going to replace the fuel pump. I picked up another set of carbs off ebay also. So for now I will leave the fuel line connected.

I read another post about someone changing to a primer set-up. I set an email to see if that helped him. What does this primer do anyway?

I appreciate the help though.

Speedy4

Seaman Apprentice

I think that Bat is in the right area with mentioning the possibility of flooding somehow. When is the last time the carbs were rebuilt?? A new diaphragm is very cheap for your fuel pump and even if it doesnt help its not a bad thing to have changed.

ok, though if it is flooding, wouldn't spraying gas into the carbs be the same thing or make it worse?

iwombat

Captain

The solenoid primer does exactly what your syringe does - inject fuel into the intake manifold.

And yes, squirting fuel into the carbs would make it worse. That's why I thought it unlikely. Unless the flooding is in the other carb.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

on some of these motors (maybe yours, maybe not), the carb-to-intake gasket will go on backwards - the screw holes line up, because there's an extra hole that's not a screw hole - I think (but not 100% sure) it's the air intake when the choke is closed.

iwombat

Captain

The other issue you could be having is the choke plates not closing all the way. Got no idea how that would relate to the fuel line being on or off, but it's something to check. Take the airbox cover off, and turn the key with it pushed in. Do the choke plates stay closed while the motor is turning over?