starter cranks, no spark 140 johnson 1983

ramminjammin

Cadet
Just wondering if someone could please tell me what and how to test in my control box. I have a 1983 140 johnson. The motor runs fine if the big red motor/control box cable is seperated and the motor is started by jumping the starter solinoid. As soon as the plug gets reconnected there is a click sound in the control box and it kills the motor.

I checked the tether kill and there is no circuit when attached and the circuit is made when the tether is removed.
So this leaves the neutral switch and the ignition switch.
would the neutral switch not working cause this situation or does it have tyo be the key switch ?

thanks for any help

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: starter cranks, no spark 140 johnson 1983

the neutral switch interupts the 12V wire from the keyswitch to the starter solenoid - if it fails motor won't even turn over. The keyswitch should test positive for continuity between the two "M" terminals (black (ground) wire and black/yellow (kill) wire) *only* when the key is in the off position - that's your most likely suspect.

actually you might want to inspect the harness plug itself very closely, make sure there's no accidental contact between the black/yellow wire and ground......

Last edited:

ramminjammin

Cadet

I checked and there was no continuity between the m m poles in the off position of the switch. Is there any way to cobble this up and wire around it till i can locate a new switch and key ? thanks.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

connecting the black/yellow kill wire to ground is what shuts off the engine - if the two "M" terminals are in contact with the key turned to "start" or "on" is the cause of your no-spark condition, all you have to do is unhook the black/yellow wire; then use the emergency lanyard to turn the motor off.

ramminjammin

Cadet

thanks a million jtexas
I'll get the boat tio the lake tomorrow
the "kill switch shutoff" will get me throught the rest of our short season
thanks
peter