Manifold Leak

rp23g7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 1992 3.0/Alpha 1 has developed a slight leak either at the freeze plug or the manifold gasket. I have looked with a mirror but cant really tell where it is coming from, so i am replacing both the plugs and the gasket.

Should I use sealer on the gasket or just reassemble it dry?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Manifold Leak

I was advised by a MerCruiser Mechanic to put the gaskets on dry.

When you said manifold gasket, did you mean the gasket between the manifold and the elbow? The Manifold - to- block connection doesn't have any water passages.

rp23g7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its the manifold to block connection. HMMM, I was actually looking at a diagram just now, does the coolant passage in the manifold have a seperate passage and not mix with the exhaust in the manifold?

It must be a freeze plug if there is no water going through the connection between the block and the manifold.

Does the water not mix with the exhaust untill it gets to the riser?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Its the manifold to block connection. HMMM, I was actually looking at a diagram just now, does the coolant passage in the manifold have a seperate passage and not mix with the exhaust in the manifold?

It must be a freeze plug if there is no water going through the connection between the block and the manifold.

Does the water not mix with the exhaust untill it gets to the riser?[/quote]
Exactly......;)
Gaskets go on dry.....
You may need to pull out a seat & it's base to really see what is going on as well as to gain access to the core plug if that is the problem.....
They need to be installed just right or they will give ya problems.....;)

rp23g7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Medoc, I will try to look closer. It seems to be squirting out of the top of the freeze plug, making it look like its coming from the manifold.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Yer just gonna have to get in there & look.......:)

180shabah

Rear Admiral

If you already have a set of gaskets, pull the manifold, it wil make it alot easier to get in there. If you don't have the gaskets - go get a set:D

rp23g7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

good idea 180, i replaced it and it is still leaking, are they supposed to be sealed? Guess the manifold is coming off tomorrow.