No. 1 intake oily, 120hp 2.5L 4cyl.

Some of you have been in the past a great resource for this dumb shadetree. I've posted before regarding backfire through the carb. Checked all the electrical, I'm now on the fuel side, I had an obvious manifold leak(exhaust) so I thought it could be the source. I've got the manifold off, the gasket that was on it looks fairly new not original, hmmm. Then I went to cleaning up the mating surfaces and I see no. 1 intake has a thin layer of oil in the bottom of it. Could anyone please tell me if I should go further and take the head off? The compression for this cylinder was 120 if I remember correctly. Or does it just need lash adjustment?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: No. 1 intake oily, 120hp 2.5L 4cyl.

a leak down test would be my next step, any competent auto or marine shop can do it in less than 30 min.
there are only a couple of ways to introduce oil in the cylinder.

Robj

Lieutenant

Oil in your intake port would most likely be caused by bad/leaking valve seals. If the engine is otherwise in good condition, I would try changing the valve seal first before starting to rip it apart. Bad valve seal should show up on the plug, half of the electrode would be oil fouled. I do not believe that valve lash has anything to do with this problem. The manifold vacuum sucks oil in through the valve seal.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Bondo

Staff member

Oil in your intake port would most likely be caused by bad/leaking valve seals.

Ayuh,........ Exactly.........

Valve Seals aren't that bad to Change,....... It's even Possible Without pulling the Head.....