2000 150 EFI Will not start with jumper cables

caracal

Recruit
Main starting battery went bad on the water used cables to jump start motor and would not fire up. Last week every turn of the key instant start no problem battery was good then. Took about ten attemps to get the motor started with the jumper cables is there maybe a problem with the motor or just the bad battery the cause?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 150 EFI Will not start with jumper cables

You can generally jump start a discharged battery but you cannot jump a bad battery. It just sucks the life out of the good battery.

caracal

Recruit

Can you tell me why the motor turns over but will not start the first time or second but the tenth maybe if lucky will fire up. With a new battery fires up first time everytime but if you got a bad battery and jump from another battery with cables motor turns over fine but tenth time sometimes will start what can that be?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

EFI systems have a minimum operating voltage. The starter will crank the engine over but the voltage is too low for the computer to function, no fuel, no spark, it just won't start. The longer the jumper cables are connected the more the voltage is rising in the low battery, once you reach that minimum voltage the cumputer works, it starts. I'm not sure what the minimum is without checking a service manual, most automotive system it is 10.5 , it wouldn't surprise me if it is in that area.

Most EFI systems have a dash mounted volt meter (or should) if the voltage starts to drop to 12 or below while running then it's "Houston, we have a problem!"

Get it in and checked out 'cause it is going to stop running.

You beed to test your charging system, do not just assume that the battery went bad, it could have, but if it is a poor charging system it is going to leave you stranded again, why risk it, check it out and be sure.