Yamaha 200 Gear Issue

E-Bone

Recruit
It seems that my Yamaha 200 outboard will only go into forward gear. Upon starting, prop immediately rotates forward. There isn't a "free spinning prop" neutral, even though the shifter appears to be in the neutral position. When I push the shifter forward the prop spins faster. But when I shift back into neutral, the prop stills rotates forward, and when I shift to reverse, the prop just spins forward faster. Does anyone have any ideas about what the problem could be and maybe how to go about fixing it?
Thank you.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 200 Gear Issue

if its older than 1995 carefully inspect the shift shaft motion. easiest out of the water with 2 people.
the shaft tends to rust away between the lower swivel tube and the midsection just above the gearcase parting line.
look for the gap just below the lower engine mount yoke and that is where the speedo tube and shift shaft pass through.

E-Bone

Recruit

Thanks for the assistance. It's an '87 yamaha 200. Took the lower unit off yesterday. I can turn the lower unit into forward, neutral, and reverse gear by hand, and the shift control rotates the upper shift shaft just fine. But, when I put it back together, I just have a spinning prop, no engagement in forward or reverse. Do you have any suggestions how to remedy this problem? :confused:

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do what I did, clean your gas tank with soap and water and then don't drain it properly. Then fill it half way and pump a bunch of dirty phased out water and ethanol into your motor.

I'm stumped too. It's pretty straight forward to me. Start at controls and check cable to motor, then check shift mechanism and shift rod since those parts most usually rust apart. After that it's somewhere in the lower unit gear portion I'd guess. If everything is working up to the lower unit, you've isolated the problem. As long as you're initial estimates and checkups are correct.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I would put money on a rusted shift shaft in the mid section.

E-Bone

Recruit

Thanks. I'm going to investigate further this weekend. I'll let you know what I find.

E-Bone

Recruit

It looks like you were correct, Rodbolt. The bottom of the upper shift shaft seems to have rusted away to the point that it no longer grips the bottom gear shaft. Do you know where I can purchase a new one? Should I buy used or new, and about what should I expect to pay? I know it's going to be a pain to install it (powerhead removal, etc.), but I would like to keep my costs to a minimum if possible.

Thank you for all of you assistance.

Last edited:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

shaft and gaskets50 60 dollars at your local dealer, aggrevation in removing the powerhead bolts? priceless.