Which core?

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
What core material are you guys using for floor replacement etc.?

OV1961

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Which core?

I am planning on using 3/4" marine grade plywood. I bought some to make porch columns out of, since we live by the water and the exposure can rot wood easily. The plywood was $85 for a 4x8 sheet :eek:, and it was the best I could find with almost no voids in the glue :D. That's what I'm doing unless I find a better product. One sheet is all I should need.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i like 5 ply 1/2 exterior grade ply, sanded one side.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Really 1/2" exterior ply? Huh.

I'm thinking of using balsa core, never really thought much about using a regular wood.

Where do you even buy marine plywood?

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

We have gone the 85 dollar a sheet 3/4 inch ply in our Lund. That boat still isn't in the water, mostly due to time restrictions, but budget ones too (first boat, did everything the "right" way) The 1/2 inch exterior ply, with a good coat of paint, or water seal will be the way to go.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I'd cut the pieces and coat them on all dimensions with thinned resin. Epoxy is my choice but I presume that Polyester will work as well.

Interesting note, I used Xylene to thin some epoxy. I got the info from an internet article. It did not mix well. It did not gel or coagulate, it just did not really mix well. When I would stick the brush down in the tub you could see the edges were thin but the bottom of the brush always had a thicker mixture on it. Next time I would experiment with acetone.

Thinned resin will give you the best protection you can get.

OV1961

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Really 1/2" exterior ply? Huh.

I'm thinking of using balsa core, never really thought much about using a regular wood.

Where do you even buy marine plywood?

Call up independent lumber yards, not the big box stores like Home Depot. It helps to live near a city with lots of boats :D. Also, try shops that sell exotic woods and cabinetry making supplies, they will be able to order it no problem.

rebuilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was going to go the marine grade route, but have since decided that 1/2" exterior will do a good job. Extra weight, and money were the deciding factors. Mine gets 3 layers of glass over it, cloth, chopped, cloth. Precoating the bottom side with thinned resin would make it watertight for ages.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I was going to use epoxy.

It's kind of funny cause the make alot of boats around here ( Boston Wahler, Everglades, Edgewater, SEa Ray, and a host of flats boats) but there really isn't that many boats in the area totally different then when I grew up in Pompano.

So that's why I'm not sure where to find marine grade we're all happy around here we just got a Home Depot ( 20 car rules )

My boat stock only has about a 12-14" wide floor with a board like a t brace glassed to the bottom of it that sits in the center of the keel.

Or should I say that's what it had before it was stolen and left in the woods for 4 years.

I'd like to replace that and also build another floor with some hatches in it where it would be level and fab up some bench seats.

I'm almost done putting the boat back together I've replace every piece of wire, hose, cleat, light, vent and what ever with all new stuff. Ive just got the interior ( which was all brand new before it was taken ) and some small details left to finish it then this winter I'm going to take it apart and paint it cool.

I was thinking of using dyvinacel ( probably spelled wrong ) but started to think about using balsa core due to an aricle I read which stated Viking yaughts still uses balsa core due it strengh I think it was shear or lateral or something,

I want it strong but I don't want to get heavy, for boat performace and cause I plan on bringing the boat with me when I travel, it's alot cooler to show up at someone's house with your boat and then take them to see somewhere cool near their own home.

I uess I'll see if I can find some marine grade but I'm probably still gonna use some balsa core for my seat back cause it comes all scored so I should be able to shape it cool before I send it a freinds for upolstry.