power trim

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: power trim

Depends a lot on the boat, balance, etc.

I think I have gained about 5mph from trimmed all the way in to optimum trim, but.. .

If I didn't have power trim on an engine it was set at a trim position that got pretty near the same top speed. It just took longer to plane.

So, over a manual trim engine I don't think there is much gain to speak of unless the balance changes a lot from when the trim position was set.

pwiseman

Petty Officer 1st Class

3-5 sound pretty close and JB is right to say it depends on your rig. I would add that if you are a bit short on power, power trim is very usefull as you may not have enough guts to get on plane with the motor set in optimal trim position.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I have a large engine on a light fast hull. I can plow or skim and the difference is more like 15-20 mph and I never touch the throttle.

Like I will be tucked in for a fast hole and firewall the throttle. Up on plane fast, but speed maxes out around 30 and rpm's are somewhere around 3500.

Hit the trim, the bow lifts out of the water, the speed and rpm's just jump right up there maxing out at 50 @5600. Quite a difference.

If I didn't have PTT I'd have 3 choices: Hole, quazi both, or WOT.

Hole would have my mph, rpm's and miles per gallon severely limited

Quasi would be halffast hole and mph which is what I had to do before I got an engine with PTT.

WOT would have the engine pushed all the way out and it would blow out in the hole and never get out of it.

Never be without it again.

Mark

studlymandingo

Commander

I agree with Mark there, I wouldn't want to have a boat without it.​