Can it be done?

Ingalls

Cadet
I'm new to the board, but it looks like I came to the right place. I have a 17 ft. 1968 Mitchell thats in pretty rough shape. The floor is soft and the fiberglass is split in some spots. The plywood is showing at quite a few spots. The steering cables have been missing for years and the boat is on its third motor, which hasn't run in 10 years. I'd like to have the boat restored and made seaworthy again. I'll end up putting modern steering and electronics and a new motor, but I'd like to have the fiberglass and and structural members redone. Has anybody heard of this being done. Everybody says I'm crazy, but the boat has sentimental value, not to mention, I just like it.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Can it be done?

Ingalls - A BIG Welcome your way-

Of course what you propose has been done before. Spend a few hours reading the posts in this section and you will read the tales of woe, the pride and satisfaction of a job well done and a few who dropped tons of hours and big $$ before throwing in the towel. Youre call - -

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

It can be done, but you didn't say what year/model/ hp engine you plan on putting in the boat. If you are going to spend $12000 on an Optimax then you might want to reconsider. :) It can be done, but be sure you know the cost and time involved in restoring a boat. Some on here have been spending thousands of dollars a year for 5 years or more on their restoration. Heck, I bought a '95 Skeeter a couple of months ago in what some would consider perfect condition, but I've still spent $2500 getting everything to my 'Perfectionist' liking. :) Just be sure you know what you are getting into time wise, and money wise.

redfury

Commander

Yup, my $300 boat is probably going to end up costing me $3000 by the time I'm done with it.

Best advice I can give...read, a lot. Don't jump into any part of the project until you fully understand how it works, and how to fix it properly.

drewpster

Commander

My project started at $3400. With all I have done over the past two years to date I figure it's up to around $6000. And I am just getting started. By the time I am done I will have $10k-$15k in it. I am doing all the work myself. And I am not doing any serious structural work. The cost is a serious consideration. It will always be more money and more work than you first considered. Like I told my wife, if you are not willing to make the commitment, its best never to start. Be sure of what you want.
My boat has allot of do-dads to redo, but no matter the scale the rule is the same. They eat more than they earn.

Ingalls

Cadet

Thanks for the advice. The way I see it, I can spend anywhere between $5000 and $15000 for a newer boat thats comparable to what I have. This boats was my fathers, and we spent a lot of time and caught a lot of fish in it. I should never have let it get this bad, but things happen. I'll post some pictures soon. I'm glad I found this forum. I was starting to think I was the only one who would attempt a project like this.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Many people on here do restorations just for the fun of it!
Any part of the job there are people here to talk you through it.
Read through some of the posts in this section and ask anything you like.
No matter how bad the boat is it can be fixed.;) It sounds like that boat deserves to stay in your family for many more years.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

very carefull, it's additcing, i did one and now can't quit. dust, grime, $, you can do anything.