Evinrude 225 alarm

The alarm on my '94 Evinrude 225 starts sounding after running for some time without any problems. The whistle stops if I reduce speed but will soon recur. The motor sounds fine, there is lots of oil in the reservoir and the smoke from the exhaust indicates that oil is being supplied. The last time this happened I ignored the warning with no obvious ill effects. Any suggestions?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude 225 alarm

never ignore a warning. can be costly, could be running hot. the impeller not keeping up, tstat not opening when it should. air in the oil line. fuel pump weak, not providing enough fuel. need to know witch alarm is sounding.

impeller is new lots of water flow
new temp gauge showed temp max 160 degrees, motor was running at 150 deg until we entered warmer water. I tested the t'stats but might replace them anyway. Why would the motor run perfectly with low fuel?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That's a fuel restriction warning. Run along, alarm sounds, reduce throttle, alarm stops. The sender is hooked in the incoming line. If the pump starts too work too hard to pull fuel the alarm will sound.

I left the boat at our fishing spot but I'll try removing and cleaning the pick up and if the problem reoccurs will pump the primeing bulb. If the alarm stops then i'll have the low pressure pump tested or replaced. Thanks for your input.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

There is no "low" or "high" pressure pump. The warning indicates the pump is working fine but there is a restriction from the vacuume switch (sender) forward. It may be a clogged vent, a partially stuck anti-siphon valve, a pinched line, clogged filter etc.

I replaced the inline fuel filter and the water seperator, also drained the oil reservoir and replaced with fresh oil. The screen on the oil pick up looks clean

After a beautiful 35 min run the beeping began again. This time it was an intermittant beep not the continuous one. The beeping continued until the motor conked out and was restarted.

I removed the fuel pick up and find no anti siphon valve. Any suggestions?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

How's the vent line?

But if it's an on-off-on type beeping it may be oil related. How did you prime the oil line after checking things in the oil tank?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You probably need to purge the oil line. It may have air trapped inside. When you drained the oil and / or removed the pick up you need to prime it again.

I'll give that a try. I plan to take the boat out for a run next week, I'll let you know how it went. Thanks for your willingness to assist.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Take a look at this article, it will help you understand and maintain your VRO system: http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html

Look especially at the maintenance and servicing section. If you have a factory service manual, the purging sequence is pretty clear and straight forward, but needs to be done whenever the tank is cleaned and refilled.

Here's info on purging the oil system that I was trying to find, by Joe Reeves:

(Priming The VRO Pump)
(J. Reeves)

When hooking up or installing a VRO whether it is a new or original VRO pump, it must be primed in order to dispel any air that might be in the oil line.

Have the Oil line attached to the engine fitting BUT detached from the VRO. Add a piece of fuel hose if necessary to the oil line so that it can be aimed into some sort of container.

Pump the oil primer bulb, catching the oil flowing out of the line into the container until you are absolutely sure that you have rid the oil line of every bit of air that might have been trapped there.

Now, connect the oil line to the VRO and secure it. When the oil line is secured, apply pressure to the oil primer bulb ONE TIME only. That's it.

Last edited: