Old Geyser Needs Help

waynerh

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Old Geyser Needs Help

I've taught a lot of new skiers how to get up on a slalom ski and this is my opinion. I learned to ski on a full double booted competition ski so I had to learn the hard way.
Tell the driver to give it full-tilt-boogie.
I like to be dragged at about 3-5 mph so that I can get the tip of the ski about 8" out of the water. Then I say "hit it"!
Make sure you keep your knees as close to your chest as possible held together with your arms straight and make sure the ski tail is against your butt. This will remove most of the vacume behind you and reduce the effort significantly.
Also I always start with both hands facing down and hold on only with my fingertips-don't close your grip-you'll loose a lot of strength if you do. Once I'm up, I change to a baseball grip.
If you do that, you'll pop right up without a lot of effort.

Good skiing!

ghind

Seaman Apprentice

The thread is littered with the worst skiing advice I've ever read.

Telling a 50 year old bloke who is not ski fit and who is struggling with a deep start to do a full throttle pontoon start with 15 foot of slack is just stupid. I'm not saying that it can't work for some people but as far as general advice goes that is just terrible. Why?

1. Hamstrings. Ever torn one? Would you like to? See above for the best technique.
2. 15 foot of slack and full throttle? Only underpowered non ski boats (eg old Jet boats) should need anything like this. You don't want the rope burning away at a dangerous pace. You don't want to have to have split split split second timing, especially when learning.
3. Pontoon starts aren't that hard but also aren't for people that can't do a deepwater.

Could I do a 15 foot slack takeoff? Yes, I have done that for fun, but is it a wise way to teach somebody, well NO.

There are other considerations as well. For example, if the skier is on a wide bodied slalom ski, they sink just about the same on jump starts as any other slalom but come up quicker and shoot up in front of you. They can go much more verticle and this quick movement can tear your hamstring.

Now a firm acceleration from a beach with ONE coil of slack is a different matter. Much safer. No jumping, no sinking, much easier and safer. There is no need for anything more.

If you hdan't sorted this out yourself, I would suggest fitting a more suitable prop or learning to drag a leg for your deep water starts. Or kicking off a ski. You could progress to beach starts if you wanted, they are the biggest buzz but you shouldn't really have to.

As far as fitting the right prop:

Find out what the recommended RPM range is of the motor. Eg 4500-5500rpm. Take your boat out for a run with a light load and find out what RPM you are running at full speed. What you want is to be at the very top of the band. This is because you are testing with an empty boat. Skiers add a disproportionate amount of drag on the starts and you shouldn't labour a motor at low RPM.

So, if the range is 4500 to 5500 then you would prop for 5300-5500rpm (ideally 5450). Barefooters or people who really want the best low down power possible would prop it for 5800 or more (but of course control the throttle to avoid over revving.). It depends if you are after top speed or pulling power.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

The thread is littered with the worst skiing advice I've ever read.

Telling a 50 year old bloke who is not ski fit and who is struggling with a deep start to do a full throttle pontoon start with 15 foot of slack is just stupid.

ghind, perhaps you missed my qualifier?

>I don't recommend a dock or beach start for any one learning to slalom.
Learn it first by dropping 1 of 2 skis. When you're comfortable on 1, then try it.<

OldMercsRule

Captain

Obviously Ghind ya know I agree with ya!

I always either have a brand new slalom skiier drop one, (the best way to learn slalom), IMHO, or deep water start, (the second best way).

I did not mention what I do when I'm feelin' like a whimp, (I like the 'flyin' or standin' dock starts as I hate ta get wet by jumpin' in and an the ol' Tower o' Power screamin' off into the mirror never makes me think twice about gettin' a lil' wet, as I'm skiin' before I even ponder that particular matter).

When I'm wimpy I sit me arse on the dock. That way the ski is on the water and I jus' stand up n' put me back foot in after the 34 MPH speed is hit. (I hate those back boots). It kinda feels silly like a lil' girl or somethin' but as long as there is nobody but me buds watchin': what the heck? The standin' is much more impressive but involves more timing, (as you very correctly state). My overpriced $.02 JR

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Many thanks to all for sharing their wisdom and experience. The points about increased wieght are well taken-I've gone from a 98 lb weakling to a 160 lb weakling. But we have gotten a little off track. My question is not about starting out on one ski, or from a dock/beach, rather the best tips to get an out of shape or a beggining skier up from a two ski deep water start.
It seems keeping the arms straight, legs bent and inside the arms, leaning way back, basball grip, and gloves along with fast acceleration are the keys?
LOL

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Many thanks to all for sharing their wisdom and experience. The points about increased weight are well taken-I've gone from a 98 lb weakling to a 160 lb weakling. But we have gotten a little off track. My question is not about starting out on one ski, or from a dock/beach, rather the best tips to get an out of shape or a beginning skier up from a two ski deep water start.
It seems keeping the arms straight, legs bent and inside the arms, leaning way back, baseball grip, and gloves along with fast acceleration are the keys?
LOL
Larry, I just looked over the posts and, dang, you're right, we did kind of deviate from your original question.
But you seem to have gleaned the pertinent info from it all anyway.
Good luck!

OldMercsRule

Captain

Many thanks to all for sharing their wisdom and experience. The points about increased wieght are well taken-I've gone from a 98 lb weakling to a 160 lb weakling. But we have gotten a little off track. My question is not about starting out on one ski, or from a dock/beach, rather the best tips to get an out of shape or a beggining skier up from a two ski deep water start.
It seems keeping the arms straight,

Yes

legs bent and inside the arms,

Almost tucked up to yer torso.

leaning way back,

NO, (not until you have much more skill), keep yer center of gravity near the center of the two skis, n' let the boat jus' pull ya up real easy, (don't fight). When ya feel the support of the water, (you will when the boat is "on step"), then cautiously stand up. (You can actually ski on two sittin' down so don't stand up to early.

basball grip, and gloves along with fast acceleration are the keys?
LOL

Fast acceleration helps, as do gloves, and I would exercise yer grip so ya can hang on a lil' better. Good Luck, JR