shop/repair manual question.

terry2626

Seaman
i have a 1963 40 hp Johnson outboard model RK-25D sitting on a 1963 razorback ski boat. I have been wanting to rebuild the carbs and replace the impeller since i got it from my grandfather. The only problem i have is that i have searched the net looking for a shop/repair manual for the motor, and i have yet to find one. I did get the Clymer one and it is a little and i do mean little help. because it covers so many years. I need one that starts from the very first thing to the very last thing. I even got the one from Ken Cook but it was no help at all. Did not even cover my model. what i am asking is if someone can help me out with this. either step by step or has this manual and would mail me copies of what i need. Any help would be great. I would really love to have the factory shop/repair manual, but anything would be great help.

angus63

Captain
Re: shop/repair manual question.

Give theoutboardwizard.com a shot. Be sure to ask for Ralph (owner). He has or finds stuff
Good luck

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have the Johnson tenth edition, that covers your motor, but is still vague, does yours have the automatic choke on the side of the carb?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

My service manual's start at 1964, what informationdo you need?

terry2626

Seaman

thanks guys for all you help. as you will find out i dont know that much about working on boats motors.

i have tried theoutboardwizard. everytime i have called them they keep taking my number and never call back. Been trying them going on 5 months now. I even was lucky enough to talk to ralph once and he said that he would have to look and call me back. nothing yet. ebay has had nothing.
i am not sure if 1964 manual would help. i think/heard that they changed a few things in 64, but i am now where near sure.

tashasdaddy: yes it does have the automatic choke on the side. from what i know this is the electicmatic model.

i am going to look at the other web site and see what they have on it.

I am wondering one thing. Do/Did they even make a manual on this year and model?

i was also wondering how good is the Seloc manuals? is it worth me buying? and better/ worse than Clymer?

once again guy thanks for all your help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You say you have a manual from Ken Cook. As far as I know he only sells the factory manuals, so you see there a good example of what they do and do not cover.

I have never seen a true step-by-step manual by anybody, and don't think they exist. The factory manuals are the ones that the factory supplied to their dealers and assume the dealer's mechanic knows the basics. At least they are supposed to.

terry2626

Seaman

yes i did have one from Ken Cook. but i sent it back as it was a total waste of time and money to get it from there. i ordered the one they said was for my model, but it did not have anything on my model. To be truthfull it only talk about what certain things were and how they were used, and how they made the motor work. there was nothing at all about how to repair anything.. but once again thanks guys for your help.