4.3L V6 Starter motor bracket

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer
Well I bought a second hand boat a while ago and missed that the mounting for the starter motor was broken.:confused: I repaired the mounting and replaced the starter motor (with the part recomended by Mercury) but it still didn't work.:( Then Mercury spotted that they had given me the wrong part number for the starter motor, to their credit they changed the starter motor for the correct one without any hassle, I had bought a remanufactured and they exchanged for a new! So I was very happy with the trade).:) I installed the new starter motor and it looks great everything aligns correctly.:D However this new starter motor is huge and it is only mounted by 2 bolts up by the flywheel. I would like to fit some kind of support on the back end of the starter motor (just for peace of mind) and had heard that there was a bracket available.:cool: I can make one myself, but would prefer to buy a ready made bracket if anyone can point me to a source for this bracket.. The engine is a 1991 V6 4.3L Mercruiser.

Thanks Gary

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: 4.3L V6 Starter motor bracket

The part number is 12404,but it is NLA from Mercruiser.Some Dealer may have it on his shelf or a used one.

DHP

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class

It should be fairly easy to fab one up. I've done it many times on my off road vehicles. I typically use 1" bar steel, heat it, bend it, paint it, drill it and mount it. Usually costs about $2.00 in materials and about 1 hour of time.

Chuck

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks DHP & Chuck. I have no problem to make one, I'm just lazy and wanted to buy one already made.

Gary

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gary, It is a flat piece of steel with two 3/8" holes, one at each end, and twisted 90 degrees so one end bolts to the block, and the other bolts to the elongated bolt that holds the starter motor together. Shoud be easy to cut to length, drill and heat and twist to fit.

As the old Mechanical Engineer's creed goes, "Hammer to shape, File to fit, Paint to hide".