Adding my Tell-Tale...

Jimmy Jam

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Finally located all the parts to do the install on my '76 E-Rude 85HP. I've located the water access protrusion on the top of the starboard cylinder bank, and have the necessary drill bit size and tap, but my question is....

Where do I place the tell tale exit nipple? Obviously somewhere in the lower motor cowling on the starboard side to easily be seen from the drivers seat, no?

And what size bit to use for the exit nipple. From looking at the exit nipple, the hole needs to be fairly large in order for the nipple to be snapped into place in the lower cowling?

TIA.

Whoops, just realized this should be in the Non-Repair section. Mods...can you move me?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Adding my Tell-Tale...

i'm going to leave you here. the bit size i don't know, but be sure to put a big gob of grease on the drill bit, when drilling to catch the metal shaving. yes the starboard rear side of the lower cowling is correct.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

go to the parts lists at http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=E , find a motor with a telltale (1979 70hp for example), you can get part numbers for hose, nipple, etc.

different motor, but you might find something of use in here:
telltaleSB.jpg

_brad_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pics when your done would be great!

iwombat

Captain

JTexas, I think he's got the hole in the block already taken care of. It's the hole in the lower cowl that's the odd-ball.

If I remember right, I used 5/8" bit and filed a little larger to make the clips fit. 5/8" was the largest bit I had that would fit in my hand drill. Everything bigger fits the 3/4" chuck drill press. It worked, but not as cleanly as having the proper bit. I'll guess 3/4" is probably correct. Measure at the base of the clips.

Jimmy Jam

Petty Officer 3rd Class

JTexas, I think he's got the hole in the block already taken care of. It's the hole in the lower cowl that's the odd-ball.

If I remember right, I used 5/8" bit and filed a little larger to make the clips fit. 5/8" was the largest bit I had that would fit in my hand drill. Everything bigger fits the 3/4" chuck drill press. It worked, but not as cleanly as having the proper bit. I'll guess 3/4" is probably correct. Measure at the base of the clips.

Yup, it's the lower cowl hole in question here. I've got some bits, but none are gonna be big enough for the exit nipple hole. I like the idea of using the biggest bit I have, then filing it a bit more for the nipple to fit into. Thanks.

iwombat

Captain

Sure. That clip should go in easy. If you have to push at all, file some more.

I went through a couple of fittings the hard way.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

edit

Last edited:

Jimmy Jam

Petty Officer 3rd Class

DONE!!! Tell-tale installed & working great! I was a little concerned when first drilling the water access hole into the protrusion cast into the block on the top starboard side...damn thing was alot thicker that I thought it was going to be, but I could definitely feel when I was through.

I used a couple a brass fittings for my setup in order to be able to add a pressure gauge later on down the line.

Anyways, the job is complete and I'm one happy camper....errr uh, should I say happy boater.:D

Thanks to all for your great advise. I'll try to post a pic of it later on.

cooltimbers

Cadet

I have a 1976 55 HP (55673E), and it appears that is also does not have a tell tale. I plan to install one also.

Any info from the audiance would be appreciated.

N3UP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would using a brass fitting be an issue in a saltwater motor that's not left in the water all the time and flushed with fresh water after use?

I'm not sure I trust a plastic fitting in a hot engine block.