Volvo AQ131D swap to AQ260B

DDAADDYY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys looking to swap a 260 from the 131 I have presently. Other than the y exaust pipe and ensuring guages good for rpm and voltage since it'll be different alternator and ensuring proper water temp sender to match my guage, what else would I need for the retrofit? The SP/A MT leg I have is basically a 280 leg that came with the 260 way back when. This is a chev 350 and I'm thinkin internal parts'll be way cheaper than the inlne 4 OHC I have now not to mention the extra 140+ HP is definately a plus. Cable harness and plug exact dup just swith the required terminal as my manual suggests from the 131 to the 260 to match my instrument cluster. So is this a 1 weekend project or am I opening a can of worms I don't really want?
Thanks in advance last thread of my leg acting up and dash light for indicator burned out not settled, relay for down was dead but no light yet.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo AQ131D swap to AQ260B

The outdrive gear ratio will have to be changed.
And, before you ask, No, just changing props will not work.

DDAADDYY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL yeah thought of that prop thing before the motor swap. Don't really need to go much faster 33-36 mph is OK no but I know it'll go faster with new motor but I need more tourque in the hole cause by the time I actually get up on skis I'm already 3/4's played out so I need that jump to plane that I'm sure I'll get. Looking through the book the gear swap looks like I can handle it so the gear swap will go. Just checking for any other headaches Have a good millwright buddy to help with shimming and setting lash on the new gear set.Thanks for the tip sir.

DDAADDYY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yup the ratio's gotta go also heard something about "exaust release" needing to be improved once I strap on the Y exaust need to improve exaust capabillities, so sounds like I'm goin' for it but not till lakes froze. Meanwhile buisness as usual. Thanks

Robj

Lieutenant

You can also try a different prop, one that will give you more bottom end. What size is your boat?

Have a great day,

Rob.

DDAADDYY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's an '89 19.5 ft Renken 2000CC it's 3000lbs that's why I'm thinkin motor not prop got a 19 progressive pitch now that hits proper RPM at WOT 5000 RPM right on the nose so it's about as good a match as can be I think but hey I'm all ears.... I mean eyes
Thanks

Robj

Lieutenant

While I do not claim to be a prop expert, when you are hitting 5000 rpm, what type of load is in the boat? If you prop down a bit it will give you more bottom end, but you will lose top speed. But regardless a boat that size is underpowered with a 120 hp engine. Mine is only an 18 foot, and weighs about 2000 lbs. Go to that link that I pm you a few days ago, there is alot of info there.

Have a great day,

Rob.

DDAADDYY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sept 8th update, so I have the 260 coming also grabbed a lower unit with the
1.61/1 ratio, as well as the proper exaust requirements for a V-8,the intermediate housing on a 280 is identical to the SP-A I have now. Electrical is all sorted out, all thats missing is the upper unit. They look identical but some searches on Doug Russell and Marine parts Europe show different P/N's between the 280 and the SP-A. Am I going to damage anything in the spring when I take it out for a test run or am I sittin' OK? My SP-A lower unit and AQ131D has found a good home.
Thanks

Don S

intermediate housing on a 280 is identical to the SP-A I have now.

No it's not, a 280 upper will not fit on an SP-A intermediate housing. Different bearings in the upper. So different bearing recess in the intermediate.

DDAADDYY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry bad explanation... I'm just checking to see if the upper gear unit from an SP-A/MT is compatable with a 280B lower unit. All the exploded views I see on my manual, Doug Russell and Marine Parts Europe show the intermediate as the same for an SP-A/MT and a 280 I'm just checking to see if the upper unit from my SP-A/MT will work when I bolt up the 280 lower unit I got for the exaust capabillities and proper gear ratio.
Thanks

Don S

As long as you keep your same upper and intermediate housing, any 280 and newer single or DP lower will fit

DDAADDYY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well took all the guess work out and got an entire 280 leg complete with upper gear unit and identical intermediate. The reverse pawl stuff looks better condition on this one, and have all the proper gear ratios instead of trying to match up a mis match. New motors here little shipping damage, sea water pump, hose to thermostat needs replacing as well as dist cap coil and flame arrestor but hey that's what insurance is for. Winter project here we come.