Venom 200 compression woes.Any ideas from the experts???

1raymax

Recruit
I have a 1994 Johnson Venom 200. I bought the boat from the original owner with about 170 hours on it. Before I bought it however it sat up for about a year. It took a while to crank and after I cranked it it ran pretty rough to say the least. I squirted a can of the fuel system conditioner into the schrader port on the engine by the carbs. It didn't take long to break free and seemingly ran pretty well. I've got about 210 hours on it now and it feels like it is starting to lose power and fuel consumption is getting worse also. I did a compression check with the engine completely cold and it only read 80# at its highest. The lowest cylinder had 65# and two others on the same side had 70#. The three with 80# were all on the stbd side. It is also harder to keep it idling these days as well. Once she's on plane though it's still pretty strong. Any thoughts or advice???? Thanks much!!!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Venom 200 compression woes.Any ideas from the experts???

You may have more than 1 demon. First, you may need a carb rebuild. Second, i think i would invest in a can of seafoam, in a portable tank, mix 3/4 gallons of premix gas, an 3/4 can of seafoam, (assuming you don't have the vro connected). Put the remaining seafoam in a spray bottle, run the motor up to temperture, remove the plugs, one at a time, spray some seafoam into each cylinder and replace plug. let sit 15 minutes, remove the air silencer from the carb while waiting, restart motor, and spray seafoam into each carb, until it start to stall. repeat till seafoam is gone. run out the rest of the gas. it is going to smoke like it is on fire, and drip goo on the ground. replace the plugs with new ones, and then do the compression check again. this procedure burns the carbon out of the motor and been known to free up rings, and increase compression. let me know the results.

angus63

Captain

Welcome!!!!!!
Comp #'s are borderline at best to me. I would do a thorough decarb soak and then run with some decarb in a remote tank to finish the job. Then take the comp #'s again with the same gage and let us know what you find.
Good luck

angus63

Captain

Yeah what he said!!!!!!!

1raymax

Recruit

I was curious about a good decarbing. My vro is hooked up so should I just run the seafoam/gas mixture by itself??? HUGE thanks for the quick reply. I will let you know how it turns out!!

angus63

Captain

Any decarb product is okay (not just seafoam). I like to shoot it in the carbs while running until it dies. Then tilt the engine and soak the cyls overnight. Then run it wide open in the water for 15 minutes in the water on fresh gas/oil. Then put 1 can of decarb in a 6 gallon tank of 50:1 and run hard till I'm outa fuel. Check the instructions on the decarb product first.