Removing Gas in Crankcase...

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer
Due to my old carb dumping/leaking fuel into my GM L6 250cid motor's intake, I had a lot of gasoline in my crank case...

I have been working on the boat over the past 2 weeks and have not run the motor in this condition. (I've got a new carb on it now and am almost ready to start the motor again)...

My question is how to get rid of all of the gas...

So far, I have drained the oil/gas mixture, taken plugs out, dipstick out, oil fill cap off, removed and replaced oil filter... Refilled with oil again.

Still working on it, so cranked the motor over for about a total of 1 minute (did not run the motor yet), and repeated the removal of oil, oil filter, spark plugs, fill cap, etc...

Now, the crank case is sitting "open" as I have heard that a lot of it will evaporate...

I'm about ready to start the engine, but before I do so, I am wondering if I am missing a step in doing my best to remove the gas completely.

I will re-fill it with oil, put another filter on, close her up and crank her. Once I know she runs, I will drain and re-fill one more time (with another new oil filter)...

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Removing Gas in Crankcase...

I'm no expert, but doing this in triplicate sounds excessive... Are you draining via the drain plug, or sucking it out via the dipstick? If its the drain plug, then I'd say you're all set after the first draining... Certainly after # 2 for sure...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

You have done more than enough to get the gas out.

Just ensure that you have WELL ventilated the engine compartment and have the blowers running for a minimum of 5 min before starting the engine.

Once it warms up any residual gasoline in the crankcase will quickly evaporate. You really do not have to change the oil another time after running it. All the gas will evaporate when the engine warms up.

Even a little bit of gas left in the oil won't hurt anything. Back in the "old days" Some aircraft engines had an oil dilution system that had a pilot controlled valve that would allow gasoline to be dumped into the oil system to dilute it just prior to shutdown.

Then the next morning in extremely cold weather, the oil would be pretty well diluted for quick oil flow during initial start and warm up. As the oil temp came up the gasoline evaporation would increase and be pretty much completely gone once the oil came up to operating temp.

Are you sure that the fuel pump wasn't the problem here? or did your float stick etc?

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

I've replaced the fuel pump as well...

Thanks for all of the responses...

I'd rather over do it than not do enough! Pretty new engine and the idea of the wear surfaces not getting lubed properly scares me a bit.

Thanks again!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Just make sure the blowers run well before you start and you get oil pressure after starting and you'll be fine.

Your second oil change was not really required........ but ANY oil change will never hurt an engine!

Cheers,

Rick

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

What are "blowers"?

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!