88' Johnson 14hp SPL problem, help..

GarChaser

Recruit
Not really a gear head here, but I can mix oil, change plugs, and winterize my motor.

I have a 1988 14hp Johnson SPL longshaft. Had it out yesterday, started raining, it wouldn't start. This motor has flooded a couple times pretty bad, so I let it sit and used the Minn Kota to head towards the launch. Half way there I tried to start it again. Fired right up, but giving it anything more that 1/3rd throttle it revs up like a manual trans car with a bad clutch. My first thoughts were just " Oh F, I had spun something in the drivetrain". After sleeping on it, I have a vague memory of this happening to the families 1977 Johnson 4hp when I was younger and it was the head gasket.

Am I right? I see head gaskets are pretty cheap. I assmue it involves pulling the head, cleaning the old gasket and debris away, some sealant, and a new gasket????? Am I in over my head.

Thanks alot all,

James McLeod

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 88' Johnson 14hp SPL problem, help..

before you go tearing the engine apart. it sounds like the typical spun prop or broken drive pin in the prop. let me do some checking on your motor.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ok after consulting the diagrams, you motor has a splined prop shaft, that rules out drive pin. your prop has and inner and outer metal hub, with a rubber bushing between them. 99% chance that the rubber is shot, and you need to have the prop rebuilt, or a new prop. also sounds like you are due for a carb cleaning, and rebuild kit. you need to repair/replace the prop, clean the carbs, then add seafoam to your fuel to keep the carbs clean. for winterizing, change the lower unit oil, and run some seafoam/oil/gas mix thru the motor. then it should be ready for winter. here's a picture of a spun prop.

Attachments

• MVC-149S.JPG
    MVC-149S.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 0

GarChaser

Recruit

Gotchya. I have a spare (new) prop that came with the motor when I bought it. I get what your saying in the PM.

Thanks a ton, going to pull the prop right now.

Thanks again,

James McLeod