Still thinking about how to run wires...

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
And I noticed the rub rail along the top is hollow. :) Any reason a guy wouldn't want to run some #6 copper wire through it to make a 12V source at the opposite end of the boat?

In an aluminum boat could a guy get away with running one cable for the positive and using the boat itself for the ground? (works in the auto world)

FWIW I haven't ruled out the PVC conduit but have yet to find a routing to my liking and this would make for a very clean installation.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Still thinking about how to run wires...

And I noticed the rub rail along the top is hollow. :)

In an aluminum boat could a guy get away with running one cable for the positive and using the boat itself for the ground? (works in the auto world)

True, but there are not too many Aluminum frames autos out there (or at least many that I could afford)....... I would run 2 cables if I were you.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Electrons flow from the positive side of the battery to the negative side. They will find the shortest route back to the battery.

Your hull is floating in electrolyte, there is also (usually) some electrolyte in the bilge. If you use the hull as a common buss you are creating a potential for electrolysis, in other words, your boat could potentially become a battery.

Why tempt fate, run both wires.

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You may want to look at the flat wire chase components found in Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. that are used to surface mount new wiring in remodel situations where burying the wires behind the wall is impossible. There are various components to suit your plan.

FWIW, Use a black wire and home run it to the negative post on the battery.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you use a good quality marine wire I think running the wires in the rub rail makes perfect sense. They would certainly be protected far better than in any other location. By all means string both of them and do not use the hull for the negative connection.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

One out of two ideas being good are good odds in my book. Thats what I love about the internet there is always someone there to stop me from following through with my not so bright ideas.:rolleyes:

Thanks guys.

burroak

If you use a good quality marine wire I think running the wires in the rub rail makes perfect sense. They would certainly be protected far better than in any other location. By all means string both of them and do not use the hull for the negative connection.

If you do decide to use the rub rail, it will be a closed chase. Add a small cord to the wires that you initially pull through. A small thing that will pay dividends later it you want to add a circuit later. If not, "no harm, no foul".

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

If there is enough room for the wire diameter, I would use a jacketed 2 conductor cable. The jacket will offer extra protection against insulation breakdown and shorts inside your aluminum raceway.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Electrons flow from the positive side of the battery to the negative side. They will find the shortest route back to the battery.

Your hull is floating in electrolyte, there is also (usually) some electrolyte in the bilge. If you use the hull as a common buss you are creating a potential for electrolysis, in other words, your boat could potentially become a battery.

Why tempt fate, run both wires.

interesting.....as I understand it (in the northern hemisphere anyway), electrons flow from negative to positive....... ;)

If you can get your hull charged just right, you'll attract fish, otherwise, they'll be repelled. Or stunned. I'm just saying, it could either make or break a fishing trip.......

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Run wires inside the hollow rub rail? Or are you talking about a hand rail?
A rub rail that is merely a black plastic strip held in an aluminum extrusion?
Even if it is a metal rub rail, is it not hollow for the reason of compression in a hard rub? Which would tend to pinch anything inside the hollow part?
And cause a short or at least a starting point of corrosion to the wires?

burroak

interesting.....as I understand it (in the northern hemisphere anyway), electrons flow from negative to positive....... ;)

If you can get your hull charged just right, you'll attract fish, otherwise, they'll be repelled. Or stunned. I'm just saying, it could either make or break a fishing trip.......

You just have to limit yourself to 3-4 Lone Star longnecks before lunch.:D

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

LOL jtex although it had crossed my mind about the stunned fish. Like the method the DNR uses to make species counts on various lakes.

Buroak I'm going to go the extra step and run extra wires so I won't even have to mess w/ it if I need to add something in the future.

Byacey It'd be nice but I don't think I can get a jacketed cable bundle up in there, the #2 Aluminum that I had laying around wouldn't go but a #4 did (same size as #6 copper) and not having enough of it to do both runs I pulled it back out and will go back w/ #6 copper when I have a chance to get it next weekend. I have been pondering using some uf-b romex for my light runs back to the front in the other rail.

Jeeper, Its the top rail in the attached pic, I'd really have to really smack something to distort the rail w/o destroying the side and lead into your scenario, it will be fused as a precaution to that event though.

Attachments

• Rub Rail Uncapped.jpg
    Rub Rail Uncapped.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 0

Dunaruna

Admiral

Yeah, southern hemisphere also :p. My bad.

Regardless, the principle of turning the hull into a battery stands.

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

Are you talking about aluminum wire? If so, get rid of it asap. More electrical fires have been attributed to using aluminum wire than most people can count. Even worse in a marine situation on account of accelerated corrosion.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

In 110v applications thats true but have yet to hear of a 12v fire where AL wire was to blame. (GM used/uses? solid AL wire in some of its lighting wire harnesses)
As for the corrosion, the boat is made of aluminum isn't it? :p Either wire will corrode it just goes to how well you make your connections.

Either way its a moot point as I plan on getting #6 CU since its just a tad smaller yet than the #4 AL and has the same current rating.

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

Doesn't matter in a boat or on land, Low voltage or high, if you have dis-similar metals - and you will unless every component in your electrical system is aluminum, you will have electrolytic action that will eventually create a high resistance connection. Moisture further aggravates the situation. I have never seen aluminum wire on any GM product, and I have worked on many of them. Are you sure it wasn't tin coated copper? Go for the copper!!!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Since I have to go get wire I will get the copper.

They used to (possibly don't anymore) use solid AL wire in factory GM harnesses for the rear lighting circuits. Was surprised to see it but have seen them personally.

burroak

Either way its a moot point as I plan on getting #6 CU since its just a tad smaller yet than the #4 AL and has the same current rating.

You seem to be set on #6 wire and it will do what you want to do; however, #10 is more that adequate when it is fuse protected at the battery. #10 will be easier to work with and will take up less of the chase and is less expensive.

If the purpose is to run a trolling motor from the opposite end of the boat, a heavier gauge will would be advisable; but, if that is the case, locate the battery nearer the trolling motor.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

USCG standard is marine grade tinned copper strand, but I've got away with using automotive (fresh water only). The reason for discouraging solid wire is the amount of shock & vibration present on a boat is harder on solid wire junctions. (or so I've been told) Same reason they frown on using solder as the sole method of joining wires.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Doesn't matter in a boat or on land, Low voltage or high, if you have dis-similar metals - and you will unless every component in your electrical system is aluminum, you will have electrolytic action that will eventually create a high resistance connection. Moisture further aggravates the situation. I have never seen aluminum wire on any GM product, and I have worked on many of them. Are you sure it wasn't tin coated copper? Go for the copper!!!

So what gives when the incoming power to your house uses aluminum wire upstream of the meter and from the meter to your main panel?
Still standard materials for new construction.
Much of the 120v household wiring faulted for fires was due to inadequate terminal torque and or lack of the anti-corrosion grease now used was it not?