at wits end

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1995 Evinrude 20 hp my problem is runs great when air cool as well as water but when it gets warmer it will shut down to 2000 rpm after a bout 10 min.and wont go over that until i shut down and restart then ok for a little while and it will happen again.I replaced water pump,thermostat,head gasket. Not getting hot can hold hand on flat spot top of head for 30 second or more.any suggestions.

thanks mike

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: at wits end

If your gas gets hot, it'll do that. Direct sunlight will heat the tank and line, so will keeping it in a covered boat in the sun. You might have to keep the gas tank and line in a cool place.

The less of that black fuel line exposed to the sun, the better. ;)

You should also check for water in the gas tank. I tip the tank so that I can get a hose to the lowest corner and syphon some into a pop bottle to get any water out.

Otherwise I'm inclined to take a look inside the carb bowl.

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

i have checked tank for water,checked carb.and rebuilt.built in fuel tank.covered but in shade. ill try fuel line.
Could the temp switch if not working properly be sending a false signal.

mike

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Whenever this happens, check both cylinders for spark using a spark tester.

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

have checked spark when it happens has good spark.any other suggestions?

Molaker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

have checked spark when it happens has good spark.any other suggestions?
You've checked spark when it happens, but have you checked spark while it happens? In other words, have you checked the spark while ripping along at the choked down 2000 RPM? Just grounding out one plug at a time would tell you if you're losing one cylinder.

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

yes ive checked spark when its happening whith throttle wide open spark good from both cylinders.Ive checked compression when hot have good compression both cyl.I thought at first a coil but has good spark when it happens.