I keep loseing spark need help

ljbarry

Cadet
I don't know whats wrong. I keep loseing spark. I have 12+ volts comeing in the to coil. Now corect me if I am wrong but I should have 20,000 volts comeing out and going the the distributor? I have 12+ comeing out when it wont run and when it does run it resets my volt meter. I put in a new coil and again I had to paddle back in. I have a 1986 OMC 2.5L stringer 400. Any one have any Ideas? I am all out

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: I keep loseing spark need help

The primary side of the coil is 12V, which is the 2 small terminals.
The Secondary side of the coil is 20,000+ volts (don't even think of trying to measure them with a DVM, you will destroy your meter.
If you are loosing spark going to the plugs, but keep 12V at the coil + terminal, then you may need points, the coil could be going bad, you could have a bad connection on the condenser, lots of things.
Have you done a tuneup lately? Set your dwell? was it solid or did it vary a lot. That could indicate worn bushings in the distributor.

ljbarry

Cadet

I am get 12+ volts comeing out of the coil where I should be getting 20,000. Where the center wire then gos to distributor. I don't think it is a distributor propblem.

Bondo

Staff member

It sounds like your Checking in All the Wrong Places.......

If the Coil has 12V at the (+) terminal,+ you Ground the (-) terminal,.....
It Should Spark out of the Secondary terminal......
Will it do This,..??....

If So,......
Like Don said,....... Change the Points,+ Condencer........

ljbarry

Cadet

well looking at the wireing in my book there was a ground wire on the + side of the coil. I talk to a friend with the same engine and confirmed that that ground wire should be on the - side. Would that cause the coil to stop working? There is now two gray ground wires and a black wire that gos to the distributor on the - side and a purple/black and a purple/red on the + side. I am going to get new pionts and condenser anyway, I have know Idea how old there are.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you are on the right track....;)

ljbarry

Cadet

well they are changed I wont know if it will make a diff intill I hit the lake. It is running but it was running befor. If I get passed the 2 hour mark I think I will be in the clear.