I'm back and in awe!!! Pics

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: I'm back and in awe!!! Pics

QC....that is some great lookin' lake.
Now....a couple of questions for you:
...who did you rent the houseboats from?...and approx. how much do they run a week? As well...how about are these lake(s)?
Again...great photos.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Holy mackrel! you guys get around! I've never been to Twilight Canyon, post some pics if you have any. Looks like a great time. I'm also interested in the cost of those houseboats rentals if you get the chance.

QC

Supreme Mariner

We rented out of Wahweap and the boats ran from around $3500 to over $11000 per week for a 75 footer. Our 48' Navigator is one of the newest, but not the biggest and went for $6000 for the week. We split each boat between 2 families, with fuel, food and boos we're probably in for about $4000 each. This is the highest season, so you can go for a lot less, smaller boat & off season and it gets pretty reasonable. Also, when you consider what it would cost to fly a family to Hawaii or something like that, I have always considered Houseboats to be a decent value. There are no additional expenses once you're aboard. No show tickets, no shopping (well "they" do find a way to shop . . .) no rental car, no. Oh, oh, better bring a small fortune for ice :eek: . . .

Houseboat Rates

Not sure exactly what Bigprairie's last question is, but I think it was about size. Powell is over 100 miles long, but you can't really think like that. The multiple canyons etc. means miles and miles of shoreline, coves and slot canyons etc. Lake Mead "feels" bigger and actually holds more water as Mead has huge and deep basins. Powell is much more compressed. All of the features are right on top of you and the biggest basin (Padre Bay) is actually kinda small by Mead standards. Google Earth is a great way to "see" it. Use the tools in the upper right to tilt the pictures and you can get a feel for the depth of the canyons. I used it to help me find beaches for the Houseboats. It turned out to be the best tool I used and two of our spots I "found" by searching there . . .

The last thing I should mention is that Houseboating is somewhat of a working vacation. I find it relaxing just the same, but there are anchors to set, boats to tie up, little things that need fixing etc. For this group it would be obvious, but we have friends that won't go with us anymore as they would prefer to be in a Hotel and being served etc. Nothing wrong with that, but definitely not the same thing. Also, the group you choose is very important. We were really good this trip and have been in the past, but I could see a couple of bad eggs ruining a whole week :( This was probably our 10th time Houseboating, but first on Powell. Experience helps a lot, but I can say we should've been going here. Mead and Shasta are great, but they simply do not compare with the possible exception of boating in the Grand Canyon when Mead's level makes that a reasonable venture . . .

dhath

Petty Officer 3rd Class

QC.......... I've shown my wife the pictures and called our friends in Arizona, We are now planning our vacation for next year....... Guess where???

You got it!! Thanks for the pics it has really helped making some decisions for next year!! I just can't wait!!

:) :) :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

dhath,

Anything that I can help with let me know. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too good to keep secret :)

BTW, at this lake level I think I would rent out of Antelope with Forever Resorts. Cuts an hour out of the throw away part of the journey . . . ;)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Great photos and what looks like a great family trip. Looks like an amazing place.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks like you had a great trip, Kevin. Amazing how something like that can be pulled off (hell, I don't even know 23 people)!

One thing I'm curious about - in all that beauty there has to be some "disaster waiting to happen" like poisonous water critters, snakes, bugs, etc. - please advise....

QC

Supreme Mariner

Well there are definitely poisonous snakes in the desert Southwest . . . Rattlesnakes for sure, not sure about Water Moccasins, and I think Gila Monsters (lizard type thing) are poisonous too. Other than that, I know of no other deadly animals. Maybe Drowned Rat will chime in again, but we were actually noting how little wildlife we saw. I have seen pics of wild Burros, Horses and Big Horn sheep from Powell, and I have personally seen all of those at Lake Mead, but we didn't see one wild mammal on our trip. I imagine that there are Coyotes, but they are not a threat to anything but domestic cats. Heck, I have Coyotes at my back fence at home. Maybe Cougars too, but ditto the Coyote remarks. I didn't see any reptiles (edit: saw some little lizards), lots of frogs, fish and birds. I don't recall seeing Crows at Mead, but saw them every morning at Powell checking out our garbage etc. I don't know of any North American freshwater fish that are lethal, and there are no Alligators in the West, so I think the only real safety issues are Rattlers on land and of course all of the self-inflicted dangers that come with boating :eek:

Maybe Spiders and Scorpions, but now we're kinda stretching as those things are everywhere. Frankly, the only downside that I can come up with for Lake Powell is that it is 500 miles for me, and a lot farther for most of you. Good things should require at least a little work, and that may be it, a long drive . . .

Drowned Rat

Captain

QC covered all the dangerous critters. High Desert crotalids are quite tame and very shy. You just don't want to step on one. Mojave Desert crotalids (namely the Mohave Rattlesnake) are the most dangerous snakes in North America, so look out on your next trip to Mead, QC :). In Arizona, if it doesn't have a rattle, it's safe. Even the Western Coral snake is only mildly (bee sting like) venomous. I have never seen a Gila Monster that far North although they are reported to exist, again, a very tame animal. Your biggest chance of being envenomated is by the Bark Scorpion. They like warm sleeping bags and unattended shoes. Shake out all clothing before putting it on. They are only a danger at night and early morning. Take a black light with you and shine it around camp at night if you want to scare the kids.

Lots of coyotes singing at night. Desert Big Horn Sheep can be seen in only the most remote areas. If you see a Mountain Lion, post a photo. They're a rare find. Tarantulas, Black Widows add to the fun. Everything in the desert defends its self, even the plants ;)

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Main reason I asked is because here on the Chesapeake you get some magnificent sights this time of year, but you also get stinging jellyfish in the drink & mosquitoes the size of A-10's to deal with at night - thought there might be stuff like that out there.

57whitehouse

Chief Petty Officer

I might see you there dhath. Those pics are simply beautiful. Makes me wish i was there right now.

thanks for sharing QC

Bigprairie1

Commander

Houseboat Rates

Not sure exactly what Bigprairie's last question is, but I think it was about size. Powell is over 100 miles long, but you can't really think like that. The multiple canyons etc. means miles and miles of shoreline, coves and slot canyons etc. Lake Mead "feels" bigger and actually holds more water as Mead has huge and deep basins. Powell is much more compressed. All of the features are right on top of you and the biggest basin (Padre Bay) is actually kinda small by Mead standards. Google Earth is a great way to "see" it. Use the tools in the upper right to tilt the pictures and you can get a feel for the depth of the canyons. I used it to help me find beaches for the Houseboats. It turned out to be the best tool I used and two of our spots I "found" by searching there . . .

The last thing I should mention is that Houseboating is somewhat of a working vacation. I find it relaxing just the same, but there are anchors to set, boats to tie up, little things that need fixing etc. For this group it would be obvious, but we have friends that won't go with us anymore as they would prefer to be in a Hotel and being served etc. Nothing wrong with that, but definitely not the same thing. Also, the group you choose is very important. We were really good this trip and have been in the past, but I could see a couple of bad eggs ruining a whole week :( This was probably our 10th time Houseboating, but first on Powell. Experience helps a lot, but I can say we should've been going here. Mead and Shasta are great, but they simply do not compare with the possible exception of boating in the Grand Canyon when Mead's level makes that a reasonable venture . . .

My apologies QC, you were right about the typo/missing words...the question was regarding lake size. (...when I was typing I was under increasing family pressure to come to the dinner table). Those are substantial lakes for sure. I have houseboated before albeit about 20 years ago....had a blast then tho'. The prices are in line with what I have seen up in B.C on the Shuswap lake system...so no surprises there. I fully agree about ensuring the type of people you go with are of the same mind set. Those interested in 'hotelling' it should probably do a different trip as there is some effort involved on a day to day basis.
I love that location tho'...those are great pics. When does the 'season' start down there? (April?...May?) and is it any good into...say October?

QC

Supreme Mariner

(...when I was typing I was under increasing family pressure to come to the dinner table).
LMAO :D I definitely know the feeling . . . :rolleyes:

We are surprisingly Mosquito free in the West. There are some, but I don't have one bite and I slept on the roof every night. A couple with no covers whatsoever . . . No bites on any of the kids or wife and I guarantee I would've heard from the latter . . .

Hopefully DR will come back on the Season question. My guess is that October retains some of the good water temp, but starts to get quite a bit cooler at night. May would have frigid water and some cooler nights too, but the days would be starting to stay in the 80s. My understanding is that July and August have the perfect weather that we experienced although you can get some pretty decent Monsoons which hit us on the Dock the night before we left, and one night broke both boats free just at dinner time. The ladies kept the Spaghetti hot for us, so we got over that. As I mentioned above you might want to make sure the teenage slaves do a proper job of securing your boat to the beach . . . :rolleyes: With that said, we have had at least one major "All Hands" moment on each Houseboat trip I've been on. Always something to do with getting a good grab on the beach. These things might as well be flying a Spinnaker they are so sensitive to wind :eek:

Drowned Rat

Captain

I've never been in Oct. We make an annual Sept. trip and those nights can be a bit cool, but not uncomfortable. Shorts and a fleece are perfect. Great camp fire weather. Water is still barely warm enough to swim comfortably. Almost a 0% chance of rain in Sept. too. Personally I like HOT, so July and Aug. are my favorite, but the family trumps me on that one. April is downright cold at night and it never really gets warm enough for me during the day. Late May is the earliest I would go. Remeber you're almost at 5000' Brrrr!

Bigprairie1

Commander

Now here is a good question for you guys....what do you regard as cooler water temps? around these parts...its in the 60's. Anything in the 70's is considered ok-good and anything in the upper 70's into the 80's is wow.
How do those kind of temps compare with the seasons down there?
I can't remember the last time I swam in water that was even close to 80 actually.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I call 60's cold, 70 tolerable and what I think we had was probably 78 or 79 . . . Puuuuuuurfect . . . :D

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

QC,
Those pics are awesome!

I have been on a houseboat trip on Rainey Lake in Northern Minnesota. It was a once in a lifetime trip. We did multiple boats just like you did. Ours was a 55' with double everything, bathrooms, fridges, 4 bedrooms and an atrium. Everybody that went was family. It was great and reasonable when split multiple ways

I highly recommend it.